chevy 350 swap

brbr5173

hey guys just picked up my 71 few weeks ago and i have a chevy 350 i plan on putting in it, and was wondering if anyone that has done one can give me some info on the swap. how much of the firewall needs to be cut, radiator clearance mounts ect. Or any other cool and easier swaps that might be of service on giving me more than stock HP. thnx..

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just about any swap will give you more than stock.

Almost everyone will tell you to NOT put a 350 into your 521, including me.

I think it is too heavy, and way too hard to work on inside that engine bay (521's have tiny bays).

I would swap a KA24 into a 521 in a heartbeat, or for a little more torque, a VG30e (v6 3.0L), and it would be relatively easy to work on in that bay.

Welcome to the forum. Have a look around, and see what others have done, or why they have. You are not the first to want to put a v8 into a datsun.

Now, when do we get to see pictures of your 521?

• Like 2

Ughh Los banos...

I hate that place got lost there from Yosemite.. Literally translates to "the bathrooms"

Lol

V8 in 521? Bad!!

KA24E/DE? Very good!!

It's a mini truck keep that in mind, the V8 is too much for the 521 if being used as a truck..

That said you should probably state your intentions with the truck, because Putting a SR20VET in a lumber hauling 521 is just silly

• Like 1

ya kida thought it wouold be a tight fit been looking at the ka24 thats what im leaning tward. startin to bag it and i want to

put a tranny in it so i can build the cross member make sur i have clearence.

• Like 1

always thought theese trucks were cool, this is just a project and im just going to cruz it. no planz for this truck to be a work truck. never bagged one and someone gave it to me to recycle. ill look for a Ka24 then.

• Like 1

always thought theese trucks were cool, this is just a project and im just going to cruz it. no planz for this truck to be a work truck. never bagged one and someone gave it to me to recycle. ill look for a Ka24 then.

Welcome to ratsun! That was the easiest v8 into a datsun thread block ever. For once someone actually listened and half of ratsun didn't have to say it was a bad idea and would never work. Usually OP Is like yeah I've done it before or should fit easy enough and they never get anywhere with it or the datsun ends up ruined or made into a parts pile. Thanks for taking the advice instead of the usual ask for advice/ unrealistic dumb question then when advice is given blow it off and ruin a car type attitude that most v8 swap threads start out as. Lol

• Like 1

So in my opinion it can be done its been done 100 times over you would not be the first.I want to put a LS2 in my truck,dont know why i did not start yet well i guess i just dont want to cut my firewall,but time will tell.Go to truck photo gallires and look under 521,you will find a blue one with a blower sticking out of the hood.and another yellow one that has been done to.Also go to 320's and look at the cool red one with a V-8 under the hood with even a smaller engine bay.I do agree with the guys that we would hate to see you start and never finish and it becomes a basket case,but if you want to do it and you have the know how and the tools time and money you could it for less then a KA-24 swap.Remember a chevy V-8 would take a cheap fuel pump and 2 wires and it will run and even with the added weight instint 300hp.

• Like 1

welcome nice looking rig.... a chevy v-6 and a rear end out of 5 speed dat(that should handle the v-6) if you don't overbuild the engine..and alot less hacking and slashing on your rig..cause if you want a drag truck then go v-8 but for cruzin go v-6..(my opion)..

what ever you decide it's fate to be good luck

• Like 1

A 5-cylinder out of a newer chevy would be even better.

Sweet, now you have to figure out how to fit the 5 cylinder, and how to make OBDII work. Not worth it. And it just isnt that amazing of a motor, I would sooner swap in a Volvo 5 cylinder.

I really dont understand that comment.

• Like 1

I know this is almost off-topic, since the OP was speaking of V8 swap, but check out this "Engine Swap Bellhousings" link.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

It illustrates how many different engines will bolt to an Aisin 5 speed.

You could use this guide to figure out how to put that Volvo 5 cyl in a Datsun. BTW- I have one (Volvo 5 cyl) if anyone wants it.

• Like 1

If a V6 is better than a V8, then wouldn't a 5-cylinder be even better than a 6-cylinder?

Chevy 5-cylinder is 220 HP, more than most V8s from the 1980s.

Totally. I like that new Chevy 5 cylinder. It makes tons of torque too.

The Volvo 2.3 high-pressure turbo motor I have makes 260hp, but it is too much "on the pipe."

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I am the home for hacked up 521s. I have my race truck with chevyV8 and No leg room, firewall moved back like 7inches. I bought an OldsV6 datsun and it fits very nice, just minor firewall/trans tunnel modifications. I am building a 4x4 and a chevy V8 is same length as 521 engine bay! no room for radiator!!!

7460451744_c41871d659_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i bought this in 1975 it a Long Long story

went from a 4 cylinder to a 318 - 383 - 440 than back to the small block 360 bored.030 over.

in 2005 i did a total redo starting from scratch. it took 5 years.

lots of welding cutting and just staring at the project wondering what to do next and why did i do such a thing

360 Mopar

corvette C4 front and rear Susp.

TKO 600 5 speed

more body mods than i ever expected or could have imagined.

now its near completion it was all worth it. i have no idea how much money and about 2 million hours.

i don't want to steal this thread so i will stop here.

soon i will do a write up.

• Like 1