85 720 auto to manual swap

DREWSDIME

I recently bought 85 720 with 2.4 NAPZ but has automatic trans and is a terd! I want to do manual swap but not sure which trans I can use. I was at junk yard today looking at all the 720 only had 2 manul but they were 4X4 and trans did not feel that great, but ther was a 1980 200sx with 2.0 NAPZ motor with 5 speed and it felt really good, will this tranny wotk on the truck?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it will work and has a speedometer drive in it.... did you notice that the 4x4s did not??? 4x4s are driven from the transfer case. If you had used one you would not have had a speedometer. The '80-'81 200sx 5 speed is a wide ratio transmission with a slightly lower 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear giving a slightly faster acceleration.

You will need a 6 bolt flywheel, a clutch/PP and release bearing collar to match it, a release bearing, pilot bushing, if the transmission doesn't have it you will also need a clutch arm and rubber dust boot, clutch slave cylinder. Clutch and brake peddle assy and the clutch push rod/master cylinder and also the hard line and flex line to connect between the master and slave. A shifter and dust boot for the tranny tunnel. The 200sx rear transmission mount won't work on the 720. The 7720 auto one may work by turning 180 or using alternate mounting bolt holes on frame? If not get one of a 720 standard. If the automatic measures about 31.5" the driveshaft should work with the 200sx transmission.

Dude you are the man! Thanks for the info. Measuring drive shaft in morning and going back to get 200sx tranny. Flywheel from 200 sx will not work? Or its not 6 bolt? What about rear diff gears should I get them from manual 720?

The 200sx flywheel will be 200mm diameter, the Z24 usually uses 240mm? or at the very least a 225mm. It'll work if not used for a work truck. If you are buying a new pressure plate for it order the 200mm Roadster one from Nissan.... very very heavy duty.

Your 3.70 rear gears are just fine for use with a standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Is 200 sx dog leg tranny? 1980 200sx. Also there was a 240 KA24e with 5 speed might be better?

The first gen ('77-'79) sx dogleg won't work as it's made to fit an L series motor. The dogleg from a later ('80-'81) HL510 with a Z20 will fit the Z24 buy why? It is light duty and won't stand up to the Z24's torque.

also i think your driveshaft spline end will be different from the auto trans to standard tranny different spline count, think auto is larger.

I remember having that as a problem with mine also.

All 3N71B and L3N71B I have seen are the same spline output as the standards with the exception of the 280zx turbo automatic. It definitely has a larger transmission spline. I'm using an automatic driveshaft in my 5 speed 710.

The first gen ('77-'79) sx dogleg won't work as it's made to fit an L series motor. The dogleg from a later ('80-'81) HL510 with a Z20 will fit the Z24 buy why? It is light duty and won't stand up to the Z24's torque.

All 3N71B and L3N71B I have seen are the same spline output as the standards with the exception of the 280zx turbo automatic. It definitely has a larger transmission spline. I'm using an automatic driveshaft in my 5 speed 710.

now wondering if someone swapped out tranny to the zx turbo..

So my best bet is to just get tranny from truck? I have extra KA24DE trans from 240 would that hold up to torque on Z24?

Oh yes, the 71C is good for well over 300hp and will easily hold up to a Z24. The 240sx is the longest ith theD21 shortest but if you have to shortenthe driveshaft the only differance is wher the hifter comes up through the floor.