Post your engine bays

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does the same thing. It just isn't as pretty. There is a steel tube that goes around the back of the block and under the header to the breather hole in the block. Right now it's getting a moroso crankcase evac in the exhaust down tube, so I might ditch this and build something else. It never dumped any oil on the ground, but I'm not sure how good it worked.

EricVideosbyDave7_zps34a02d24.jpg

When you run to redline every shift, ie- road racing or open track sessions, you definitely puke oil. And I wouldn't want to run a EGR system as it creates a vacuum leak that can affect jetting and also cause detonation.

I have used EGR on my street setups before though with a degree of success.

When you run to redline every shift, ie- road racing or open track sessions, you definitely puke oil. And I wouldn't want to run a EGR system as it creates a vacuum leak that can affect jetting and also cause detonation.

I have used EGR on my street setups before though with a degree of success.

I agree. I would'nt run a pcv on my drag truck, but most of these guys are driving theirs daily. Nothing wrong with upgrading the breather, But for street use, I would retain the system that has some sort of draw.

Here is something I am working on. Not sure what the exact routing will be, but it ends dumped in the exhaust. Nothing like car parts in the kitchen.

IMG_2024.jpg

I agree. I would'nt run a pcv on my drag truck, but most of these guys are driving theirs daily. Nothing wrong with upgrading the breather, But for street use, I would retain the system that has some sort of draw.

To serve what purpose though? What proven benefit is gained by going through the trouble as apposed to just venting to atmosphere? Some say neg pressure in a block is good but way more so on a race set up. Some say on a street car it can be bad. Idk honestly, like EGR there is a lot of info on both sides of the table.

Have you looked through datsun garage before? He has done something similar to what you got. "crankcase evacuation system"

evac.jpg

To serve what purpose though? What proven benefit is gained by going through the trouble as apposed to just venting to atmosphere? Some say neg pressure in a block is good but way more so on a race set up. Some say on a street car it can be bad. Idk honestly, like EGR there is a lot of info on both sides of the table.

Have you looked through datsun garage before? He has done something similar to what you got. "crankcase evacuation system"

evac.jpg

Some say a vacuum actually helps pull the pistons down the bore, which does make HP, but a real world benefit of PCV, it pulls vacuum through the crank seals and keeps your motor from leaking oil!

Here is something I am working on. Not sure what the exact routing will be, but it ends dumped in the exhaust. Nothing like car parts in the kitchen.

IMG_2024.jpg

Those seteps are not legal for road racing. I think it has to do with oil getting on the racing surface. I do dig the parts in the kitchen though!!!

Nice truck btw.

Ya thats what I have read on it, I have never seen quantifiable results though. People say having an egr set up is actually beneficial because the space it takes up in the combustion area would be un-used anyway, again though I have never seen proof on paper. They have discussed both pretty in depth over at hbz. I would be more inclined to believe if I saw dyno sheets proving any of it.

Its funny you mention the oil on the track thats the prob the guy whos pic I posted originally had lol. Before dialing the set up in he was sucking oil out of the engine the draw was so strong.

Are we talking about exhaust gas recirulation, or positive crankcase ventilation? The purpose of a pcv system on a street car is to draw out the things that shouldnt be in the crankcase. Moisture from condensation, various undesirables from blowby and incomplete combustion. Without it, your oil will need to be changed more often.

In a race situation, it is better to vent it to the atmosphere than have it go down the intake and mix with the air/ fuel. Crankcase evac systems only work where there is no exhaust back pressure. And yes, you have to be careful of dumping oil out. Clearly more than 1 way to skin a cat.

That is nice. Most scarab jobs look like shit, but yours is very clean. Are those solid motor mounts I see?

Agreed .. It is a clean install he did ! 406sbc none the less... love this :cool:

I was under the impression the original Scarab engine mount conversions .. keep the sbc much farther forward versus the JTR type mounts that are so popular these days which push the engine pretty close to the firewall (.5 inch-ish) . I don't know if i'm on target lol.

The brackets are the setback style. I just made stancions and welded them together, instead of using solid spacers, so they look different. And they're on top of stock sbc mounts. If you look at the first pic, the harmonic ballancer is almost behind the steering rack.

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

One of the nicest pieces I made on this project is the trans crossmember, But I forgot to take a pic. The 600 Holley is on my truck now, and the Z has a 750.

• 4 months later...