• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Header wrap shortens the life of the pipe. Excessive heat over time makes the metal brittle and it cracks. I can see not doing this for a header which are way too expensive to replace but for a down pipe? shrug. Reducing under hood temps is more important..

Good to see you haven't been shot up into space in one of those contraptions they have you building,,  like one of those space monkeys..  

Some day man,,,,,,,,,,,, we shall ride again.

IMG_2155_zpsc4d18098.jpg

not a glamor shot, but ill throw my hat in the ring.... and yeah... the farm filter has been replaced.... i needed a cheap filter

• Like 1

Header wrap shortens the life of the pipe. Excessive heat over time makes the metal brittle and it cracks. I can see not doing this for a header which are way too expensive to replace but for a down pipe? shrug. Reducing under hood temps is more important..

I always thought that wrap was an insulation keeping the metal from fatiguing by slowing the cool rate. I wrapped the downpipe because it is the only tig welded piece that can fatigue and runs right by my brake reservoir. I should wrap the rest to keep bay temps down. And wrap does make the bay look sweet i think.

I always thought that wrap was an insulation keeping the metal from fatiguing by slowing the cool rate. I wrapped the downpipe because it is the only tig welded piece that can fatigue and runs right by my brake reservoir. I should wrap the rest to keep bay temps down. And wrap does make the bay look sweet i think.

I'm with Mike. Wrap superheats the tubing because the heat naturally wants to escape the pipe, but then hits this barrier and has nowhere else to go but back in. Even stainless tubing doesn't last long with header wrap.

As far as looks go, old header wrap looks crappy. It only looks good when new.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...