Yet another 720!!!

Rat720

Well for some reason I won't learn to stop trading my 720s but I always end up back n one and i think I've found my last. Picked this up about a week ago. It's an 85 720 dually. From what i can tell original dually drivetrain, no badge under hood to help determine that. Has a bed off a 52 Chevy truck. Picked it up running hot and missing like hell. Got home did plugs, way past due cap and rotor, and took the timing from full possible advance at dizzy to where it should be, now runs smooth as could be and no more hot temps. Slave went out on the way home from getting it, luckily wasn't far from parts store so got it thrown on and back rolling n like 30mins. Next problem was the bed was barely even tached together, by the time I was almost done with the 2 hour drive home I had already had to pull over and use c clamps to hold the bed on cuz the horrible welds had broken. Now I'm no master welder by anymeans, just starting out teaching myself honestly, but I've already done some much better welding and the bed is now held together much much better. Plans for now are to finish everything that was done half ass and do my own touches to make it 100% mine. What do you guys think. Also I get to the top of my rpms at around 65-70 in 5th, is this due to low gearing in this rearend. How rare are 720 duallys. Pics will be up very soon.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your truck can go 70?! I'm lucky to hit 55 without it bucking like its out of power.

There is something wrong with your 720. I was doing 80 today without overly laboring the engine and all stock equipment.

Sweet Datsun, Rat. Definitely like the bed and rims.

There is something wrong with your 720. I was doing 80 today without overly laboring the engine and all stock equipment.

--sorry quote doesn't seem to work from the phone--

I just took the truck out yesterday, I was easily doing 70. I was gauging from the last time I owned the truck. I guess the guy who owned it between then and now fixed a couple vacuum lines. She runs pretty darn well now. Spins the tires and whatnot. But I think I still need to redo all of the vacuum lines and get my choke fixed cuz ya gotta pump the gas to get it to start.

I love thee way that bed looks with the rest of the truck, and the over all paint scheme is pretty cool too. Nice truck!

Thanks guys. I've been throwing around the idea of seeing what a simple wood flatbed would look like. One that is just as wide as the frame and exposes the tires. But I really like how the bed looks. Any ideas on the gearing of my rearend? I don't mind the cruising at 60-65 just curious. In the next few days I should have the mini stacks done, can't wait.

Wooooo more GA truck guys.

So I should be able to swap any h190 diff in and keep the dually right?

Yup! The H190 truck diff didn't come in many different gear sets though. Look around in the yards through all the 620's and see what the ratio is on the tag under the hood.