dp320's Project Status

dp320

Still in disassembly. Lifted body off of frame this past weekend with the help of 7 partying 20-ishers.

img0336yz.jpg

img0337zd.jpg

Some extra parts.

instrumentpanels.jpg

I'm keeping the one 2nd from right since it's for a floor shift model.

Some old switches.

switches.jpg

J13 that was running. i don't expect to need it.

extraj13engine.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your plans, motor, trans? Was it easy to lift it all off the frame?

The original engine is rebuilt and ready. I'll be using the transmission still connected to the J13 in the photo.

It was a matter of removing all parts connected in any way to the cab and labeling them. I removed the engine/transmission combo after disconnecting all wires, hoses, pumps, etc. Really it would have been easier just to wait and leave the engine/trans on until after lifting the cab off. The cab is fairly light, probably just two guys could lift it but it would be better with 4.

My plan is to blast the frame then have it powder coated, since my neighbor who does the Mexican jumping cars and other classic rebuilds has a good source for that. Then I'll start putting it back together. I need to put together a list of replacement parts I still need to acquire. Stuff like plugs, bushings, just all the trivia. I also need to restore subassemblies like heater boxes. There is some floor pan rot I need to weld up with new metal. Body work of course.

I need to decide what type of paint and what my strategy will be for getting all the little stuff painted along with the major pieces. The order of painting (undercoat, inside cab, exterior, bed liner, etc.). I think I'm going to put bed liner on the cab floor and on the bed and up the rear wheel boxes.

Plan to go with what apparently was called Pagoda Red, at least according to some old paint page I have book marked somewhere.

I am really curious about the red knob, does it have a headlight design on it, or maybe two triangles?

instrumentpanels.jpg

If you ever want to sell it, and it is one of what I discribed above, let me know.

You are also correct, the gauge cluster is a 65 floor shift model, what year is your truck?

The red knob has a headlight symbol on it, so I have at least three variations of headlight knobs. I also have the double flasher knob with the two triangles. Mine's a '65.

Any idea what a vintage fog light looked like? I kinda doubt the ones I have are OEM.

The red knob has a headlight symbol on it, so I have at least three variations of headlight knobs. I also have the double flasher knob with the two triangles. Mine's a '65.

Any idea what a vintage fog light looked like? I kinda doubt the ones I have are OEM.

That red knob is quite rare, I have seen guys advertizing for one for months, if you ever want to sell it, let me know.

I don't beleave there were fog lights on 320s, but I have been wrong before.

We don't know what your fog lights look like, there is no photo of them in this thread.

Do you have the 65 grill?

• Like 1

I'll have to take a close-up of the different headlight knobs. I sort-of liked one of the black ones where somehow the depiction of the headlight beam was just better. But I've had two people remark on the red one, so I'm torn. Probably have to wait until it's re-installed.

I have the '65 grille in pretty good shape. I think I'll wait before spending the $6-800 for rechroming estimated by a local company. I do have the chrome headlight "hood" things, which I like a lot.

I'll have to take a close-up of the different headlight knobs. I sort-of liked one of the black ones where somehow the depiction of the headlight beam was just better. But I've had two people remark on the red one, so I'm torn. Probably have to wait until it's re-installed.

I have the '65 grille in pretty good shape. I think I'll wait before spending the $6-800 for rechroming estimated by a local company. I do have the chrome headlight "hood" things, which I like a lot.

You mean you have eye lashes on your headlights?

I had a guy re-plate two grills for me recently, but I don't have them in my possession yet, it cost me $520 for the two, but like I said, they are not here yet, they were supposed to ship today, or maybe tomarrow.

I will be posting photos as soon as they get here.

This is making me want to finish our project faster! Hopefully it will be off the frame soon too!

Is the Pagoda Red color you are going with close to the stock red color? Also, are you interested in selling the gauge face plate on the far right in the picture? We have a 5 speed one that was bent to make fit over the column shift.

This is making me want to finish our project faster! Hopefully it will be off the frame soon too!

Is the Pagoda Red color you are going with close to the stock red color? Also, are you interested in selling the gauge face plate on the far right in the picture? We have a 5 speed one that was bent to make fit over the column shift.

I can part with the face plate. If you don't need the green signal plastic things I'd prefer not to sell those as part of it. I wish some senior person in here could mediate a fair price.

Found an interesting problem. The portion of the frame where the cross member connects has been cut on one side halfway through the inner most of the two bolts holes on that side. The cross member is also bent. Seems to be strong enough but I'm going to either have to fabricate the tips of the frame there or find an old frame to cut off the tips from and use those, which would probably be easiest. I guess another option would be to completely cut off that piece of the frame assemply and weld the good one on. Probably whatever frame I scavenge from I'd get a better cross member piece.

Tips of frame sub-assembly cut off on left.

img0354xk.jpg

Bent area on right.

img0355yc.jpg

Was there some hack way of dropping an engine? It doesn't look like the missing piece matters much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine was on vacation in Mexico a few weeks ago and saw this truck. He thought it looked like mine so he sent me a photo.

mexican320.jpg

The box skirts on this truck have been modified, they should have come this way from the factory, it looks good in my opinion, the side trim and badges have also been shaved, can't tell if the hooks have been shaved, but they likely have also, nice little 65, to bad the pass. side turn lense looks wasted.

• 3 weeks later...

No change, held for parts.

I need two types of bushings:

-The ones near the torsion bar (lower control arm?) part 54423-04300

-the leaf spring bushings part 55045-07200'

Might have to buy something oversized and figure out how to mill down some of the elastomer, unless there's a custom bushing shop out there somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a bunch of time with a wire wheel removing rust on the rear axle. Finally got it re-installed with the new leaf spring bushings. I don't have the part number here handy but I can tell you all you need to do for the front one is "Talk to Bob" at ATSSprings.com.

rearaxleinstalled.jpg

The differential nuts on the lower half were battered by years of rock dings. I decided to replace them all with bolts (removing the studs one-by-one). I used 5/16 x 18 x 3/4 long (Grade 5 or coarse thread).

differential.jpg

Slow progress, I don't have much spare time.

• 2 weeks later...