snatched up a clean original 720

jesusno2

From what I've read, the mounts are the same as for the z24. It will also bolt up to your z24 tranny. I've also read to get the intake and wiring harness off of a 240sx because the wiring harness off of a hardbody is mixed in with other wires you dont need. 

Not saying I'm 100% correct, but that's just what I've looked up. I plan on doing the swap in the future myself. 

By the way NICE TRUCK! It looks great. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Ka24E swap into my 720 was pretty straight forward.  It bolted up to the trans.  I needed custom motor mounts, but they appear straightforward to build (I bought mine).  I had to screw around with a few radiator hoses to get that worked out.  And I bought Icehouse's relay box, which makes it go in easy.  The real time is in how much time you want to spend running wires and mounting things.  Theres a version involving a bunch of zip ties and shoving things where they fit.  And theres a version like i did where i rerouted the engine bay harness behind the fender and under the core support.  I lengthened the harness that runs down the intake manifold and ran the engine harness through a grommet i got at upull it into behind the dash and mounted an auxillary fuse panel for all the additional wiring. The computer and can/am box are under the pass seat and there are very few visable wires to be seen.  One way takes an evening.  One way takes many.

Your engine looks great and if you need any help just holler.  I'll have it down at the cruise in at Sonic in Keizer saturday late morning if you want to check it out.

My Ka24E swap into my 720 was pretty straight forward.  It bolted up to the trans.  I needed custom motor mounts, but they appear straightforward to build (I bought mine). 

Care to share where..?  :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Well out with the old. In with the new. It was kinda hard to start tearing into it. The engine was so worn out! but it started every morning, and got me everywhere I needed to go, never missed a beat. But it was time to put her down. 

IMG_20130420_172958_zpsc5d60934.jpg

Started putting the ka in. The drivers side motor mount fits, the passenger side is a whole other story its off quite a bit still figuring out what route im gonna take its bolted on in the pictures but the pan is sitting on the cross member.

IMG_20130420_205655_zps1f0f5d0e.jpg

IMG_20130420_205704_zps499e662c.jpg

Slow progress, alot of differences between hardbody Ka's and 240sx Ka's.  I gotta figure out how to address my power steering stuff, as the napz pump is directly in front of the throttle body. Alternator is different too, or I got the wrong brackets?. Might just fab a turnbuckle and use my napz alternator, dunno yet. I also had to chop up a 240 down pipe and weld the flange from it to my napz downpipe. For motor mounts iused a Left 240sx mount and a passenger side napz mount, i redrilled some holes in. worked out quite well. 

IMG_20130423_183714_zps5cb4e998.jpg

• 2 months later...

Figured I should update. bit of a disaster happened on first fire up. The truck smoked like a chimney, and the rear main seal leaked like a faucet. I pulled the motor out, got new CAST rings from hastings, light hone, and it works! no smoke. The dizzy was off a tooth took a while to figure that out along with trouble shooting some sensors etc but its running great now, but rear main leaks like a faucet still even after a FELPRO REPLACEMENT!!! Now i gotta pull the automatic. I'm just gonna swap to a 5speed, cause I dont like pulling the trannys outta these trucks. Also try to figure out why the rear main still leaks like a hose. 

IMG_20130615_143717_zpsd73cc099.jpg

IMG_20130622_183435_zpsc7ecb57e.jpg

IMG_20130623_133051_zps1eae01a8.jpg

IMG_20130706_165800_zps9708e24c.jpg

IMG_20130706_165815_zps6a04166b.jpg

IMG_20130706_170619_zps416d8e82.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Steve I just spent like 10 min staring at it I Dunno where it leaks from I have fresh oil all over the place their. When its running it just runs out and it drips off the corners of the rear man seal housing. I'll take a picture and post it.