MPFI on a z24

mobilejoe

I have a 1987 nissan hardbody with a Z24I (8 plug)motor. My throttle body is dieing (mass air meter again).

So I what to switch over to multi port fuel injection.

I have found a 1983 200sx (2.2) intake round ports instead of square, but it all lines up and bolts on.

I also have 4 fuel injectors, A 1996 altima 2.4 throttle body with mass air flow meter. (bolts right up) I will have to have the opening in the intake matched to the throttle body.

I know that I will have to do some wiring, which is not a problem for me.

Here are my questions:

What computer should I use?

I have a ka24e truck computer, Also I was thinking about a 1992 stanza (also ka24e), It wires up the same only it has fan controls(would be nice)

But If I use the ka24e computer how would I get the second set of plugs to work?

Also would it be better to keep or get rid of the egr system? I live in fl so no emissions. B)

Any and all ideas/questions would be great?

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EGR will not hurt anything, so if it is working don't mess with it. Honestly, if I was going to attempt to convert a TBI vehicle to MPFI, I would use stand alone engine management unless it was a direct swap. As far as your 8 plug concern, I had read that Jacobs makes programmable ignition system for the Naps Z 8 plug engines...there may be a way to use your distributor with a MPFI set up, especially if you are using your own engine management.

But in the end, is it really worth it? Power and mileage gains from TBI to MPFI on this motor would be minimal, and most likely negated by your mismatched intake ports. Unless the datsun gurus here can give you a magical set up that will let you use junkyard parts, I would say it is time for an engine swap or a new Nissan MAF and/or troubleshooting what is burning them out.

• Like 1

Food for thought.

At some point I will be building a napz motor and doing a turbo that's the long term goal. I kknow a ka24 motor setup would be a bolt in and easier swap blah blah blah

But I would like to stay with a napz style motor. :sleep:

I am getting a z22 lower block and that will be the base for my motor. Any how before I start to rebuild motor I need funds first.

Also when I do the new motor I would what it to be mpfi. So seeing that I have this problem with the throttle body I figure lets get the mpfi system done and tested (yes when I go turbo I will change computer and fuel injectors)

Sealick has done this with an early 200sx EFI onto a Z24. The AFM needs adjusting for the larger displacement.

Another guy I know has used the 200sx EFI manifold but swapped KA sensors/injectors and ECU over to it.

Both the KA and the 8 plug Z24i us a crank angle sensor so firing 8 plugs isn't a problem.

• Like 1

sweet

Here's my parts list:

96 altima with a ka24e motor

1) throttle body with throttle sensor (had to change the throttle cable bracket used 91 sentra bracket and spring)

2) mass air flow sensor

93 pathfinder

1)air box (the 2.4 mass air all most bolts on you just have to elongate the holes in the air box 10 minute job)

83 200sx

1) intake

2) fuel rail

3) fuel regulator

89 240sx

1) 4 fuel injectors with brackets

92 stanza

1) ecu

OR

92 d21

1) ecu

ecu wire/plug

I think i will block off the egr system.and remove the rest of the emission stuff

This is what I'm think about using for the idle air control, I can mount it out of the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-850-960-S70-V70-C70-S90-Idle-Air-Control-Valve-IAVC-93-00-BOSCH-0280140542-/261027050600?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc66cb468&vxp=mtr

ok so no ka24 head

I have a long term goal, I know that ka24 motors are newer, cheaper, and a easy swap...

But I like the look of the dual plugs and naps motors.

At some point I'm thinking of building a Frankenstein z22 motor or z24 but I do want mpfi So with my throttlebody screwing up again (when cold will not idle, when hot it will die when ever it feels like it or you shift into 3rd to fast) So thats why I'm switching

I did take the intake and had it matched to the new throttle body I plan on ordering gaskets and parts latter today, I think I have most of what I need.

Also is there a good place to buy egr block plate.

this is a link to a idle air valve, think it will work or do you have a better idea (i like it does not bolt to the intake I don't have a spot on my intake)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-240-740-940-IDLE-AIR-CONTROL-VALVE-0-280-140-516-IAC-MOTOR-SAAB-/280882045429?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4165dfe1f5&vxp=mtr

Thank you for all the info

Just disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR and it will stop working. If you have to, remove the SS line to the exhaust manifold and replace with a metric thread pipe plug. Or just crush the open end of the pipe with vice grips and fold over to seal it.

• Like 1

Hit my first major problem.

I found several wires that were chewed up (by mice??) and some that were green so I had to pull alot of wire out So now I need to build a new engine harness, all the way back to the ecu and then tie it back in to the good half of the truck harness...

I'm good, but yea this is a big problem and I know that the local junk yards cut the harness when they pull the motors. I'll go look tuesday and see, I know that there is a 200sx (1.6 front wheel drive) complete. ?????

question

I can not get the injectors to fire.

I have 12+ at the common wire for all the injectors, but I don't have a ground signal from the computer. I have tried 2 computers

I have tested the injectors by hooking them to a battery and they work.

what am i doing wrong and or missing

:sneaky: :w00t:

also when I hookup the injectors into the harness i get a 12+ reading on both wires? is this because of the coil inside the injector?

does any one know about temp sensors??

yes, we know about temp sensors. But whether a Ford unit is compatible is unknown. You are talking about the air temp sensor? You could get the factory service manuals for both and compare specifications. These FSM are usually available at larger public libraries.

Don't use an adapter, it needs to go in where the air is flowing, rather than in a pocket of an adapter.

Some ideas:

* Find a Nissan sensor that is larger diameter (e.g. different model) -- if one exists

* Drill a new hole for the smaller sensor, then and tap it for the correct thread

* Use JB-weld to make the hole smaller, then tap it for the smaller thread

thank you ggzilla but i was talking about the water temp. I found a port on the bottom of the intake that the sensor screwed in (after i remove the plug)

I went to the junk yard and got a 3rd computer plugged it in without the injector and I still do not have the injector signal coming from the computer so that means that i am overlooking something. any ideas/help

thanks

Buy a 4th computer just to be sure.

Or, find out what the problem is and then fix it. Do you have *all* the parts for the EFI system? Do they match? Do you have the dropping resistor for the injectors, or does the particular system not use that?

i have the following:

motor is a z24i

with a 83 z22 intake (multi port fuel injector system)

ka24e stuff:

computer

wire harness

mass air flow sensor

throttle body

water temp sensor

83 280

fuel injectors

fuel pressure regulator

using the stock z24i dizzy with the crank angle sensor

I do not have any emissions stuff.

also I have spark from both coils