track width of little NL320?

I do not YET own a 320 but would like to. For odd reasons, I would like to know the track width of this vehicle. Ideally a hub-face to hub-face (wheel mounting surface) width measurement. Anyone that would be willing to measure - or estimate! would be apreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not YET own a 320 but would like to. For odd reasons, I would like to know the track width of this vehicle. Ideally a hub-face to hub-face (wheel mounting surface) width measurement. Anyone that would be willing to measure - or estimate! would be apreciated.

I got 49 1/2 to 50 inches on the rearend from mount to mount surfaces on the drums.

I truely beleave it was a 320 rearend I measured. :lol:

Tread and track are different. Tread is overall rubber width, while Track is center to center line of tires

Track: center of tread-to-center of tread.

I thought it might have something to do with that, but then wouldn't the tread width be more than the 50 inches from drum to drum then?

I thought it might have something to do with that, but then wouldn't the tread width be more than the 50 inches from drum to drum then?

The original question was a rim mount surface to rim mount surface measurement.

Most stock 320 rims have have the tire more inside less outside of the drum mount surface, so that might change the measurement depending on what points they measure from, center of the tire would likely give a slightly smaller measurement than the 50 inches from drum mount surface to drum mount surface.

Thank you ALL- this was exactly what I needed to know. I was unable to find the info myself and didn't have access to a 320. Drum face to drum face was indeed the original question, as its the "hard point" reference and pertinent to modifications (ie narrowing or fitting alternate rear ends). As explained above, wheel width, tire width, and wheel offset can introduce variables that affect "fit on the truck" and the overall "outside width" of a funtional rolling axle/wheel/tire as on a vehicle. It's a pleasure to have a forum with intelligent folks, and I hope to "give back" when I can.

Yes, but not with a stock vehicle where there was only one size wheel for all 320s, with same width and offset. So the track was the same for all 320s.

If you put 6-inch wide Chevy Truck wheels on your Datsun 320, then yes, track and tread both change.

GGzilla. Is that a 1200 "ute" I see in your sig? I've only ever seen them in South Africa - which still kinda seems like the "land of the lost" to me...since I visited my brother there for a week once, and it was a 23hr flight each way...plus there are beasts and plants such as rhinos and such that I'd just never seen the likes of before.

yes, it is a coupe-utility, called a ute in Australia or a bakkie in South Africa. But mine came from Tokyo, where its simply called a Datsun 1200 Sunny Truck.

It's nearly the exact dimension of a 320 pickup, same length and width (mine is a long wheelbase, so same length as a 320). But the 320 is much much taller. And weighs a lot more. Mine only has a 1000-lb payload, as compared to the 1-ton payload of a 320.