My Aussie 720

Jaak

Hello

My name is Jacques and I live in Perth Australia. I work as Mechanical Engineer in oil and gas industry and do part-time work as a MoTeC data-analyst for local race teams in my spare time . My hobbies is working on cars, I would like to show you guys my project 4x4.

Here it is my 1985 Datsun 720 King cab

3.8 series 1 V6 (buick motor)

T700 with stock transfer case

Newish koni dampers all-round

red2.jpg

^^ the day I picked it up ,in all its glory!!

red3.jpg

^^ the sh*t interior ,most of it will be ripped out

Red4.jpg

the Buick V6 (holden commodore in AUS)

The engine conversion I did not do myself , but is in need of some tlc. Its got lots of power down low and does awesome burnouts LOL

Near future Mods:

Convert it into a semi race truck for beach and sand racing

New radiator set-up (current one sucks running to hot)

Complete rewire of the whole truck inside and out

Custom made race-like centre console with fuse box, switches and gauges

Respray interior, engine bay, roll bar and inside well body.

Remove tailgate and rear bumper, make custom rear nudge bar

General clean up of the engine bay

And...

Mod plates for road use.

Long term plans will be to fit some rally suspension set-up and supercharge the V6

Photos as it sit atm, tailgate and rear bumper removed

20120511_153553.jpg

^^ moved into my workshop ready for striping :)

20120512_124520.jpg

^^ getting rid of what is not needed

My inspiration for the project

3214993483_7c6345fcf4.jpg

Currently I am working out a brand new wiring diagram from the old Nissan one, the v6 one and the conversion manual. Worst part of build :( . But most rewarding when its done. I will hopfully have a few more photos up as my build continues :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My hero! You must have read my mind. I've been pouring over websites researching transplanting an L67 Supercharged 3800 into my truck. In fact, before I saw this, I just made a post in my Newish 720 Owner thread about exactly that. Now, I'll be doing a 2wd swap so it should be much easier. I will be using a series 2 motor though, and it will be OBD II capable. More or less ;) What do you think?

My hero! You must have read my mind. I've been pouring over websites researching transplanting an L67 Supercharged 3800 into my truck. In fact, before I saw this, I just made a post in my Newish 720 Owner thread about exactly that. Now, I'll be doing a 2wd swap so it should be much easier. I will be using a series 2 motor though, and it will be OBD II capable. More or less ;) What do you think?

In Australia it is a very common conversion for trucks , :) , and I think its an good Idea , very very fun motor to have in a mini truck or 4x4 . I will dig around and get you some proper photos of a 2wd conversion. any I will take photos of my own ,when my motor come out. as it stands now , you will need a custom made sump (maybe 4x4 only) custom engine mounts ( I will take some picktures ) and gearbox mounts with a tailshaft. in the mean while have a look here :)

http://www.v6convers...u/nissan720.htm

Agreeeeeeeeeed. Sickest bumper on a 720 ive seen.

your bumper i sooooo bad ass. i dig the roll bar and pretty much how your truck is setup haha.

PLEASE more pics of that front bumper (and how its mounted)

Thanks guys , must say its one of my fav part aswell . I will take some more pictures when I get home from work in 10 hours or so :)

haha, i think it is... I see a transfer case shifter, and an automatic looking doo-dad in front of it... hahaha...

That is a sharp color!! i love it with the black rims and all. really clean looking...

love to hear more on the buick swap. Its something i would love to do. I hate the lack of power that my 720 has. It makes highway driving a pain in the arse.

haha, i think it is... I see a transfer case shifter, and an automatic looking doo-dad in front of it... hahaha...

That is a sharp color!! i love it with the black rims and all. really clean looking...

love to hear more on the buick swap. Its something i would love to do. I hate the lack of power that my 720 has. It makes highway driving a pain in the arse.

also only 2 foot pedals and the engine shot shows no master clutch cylinder!...

Is that a4x4 with an automatic transmission?

Haha , yes its an auto , from the buick motor . a Turbo 700 4 speed. the auto controls the shit load amount of torque beter that the manual , I can hardly get around roundabouts without getting it tailhappy in the rain.

I bet the nissan case is still there... That thing is bullit proof!!! alot of other trucks idolize them also. Gear driven, makes them tough. I wont get rid of mine for nothing.

I am betting that it is!! hahaha....

oh, and STILL NEED MORE INFO ON THE 3.6 SWAP!!! I need this in the worst way. Can you take pictures of the trans, motor mounts, drive shaft, engine bay from all angles, and oil pan

Dude, I will mail beer!!! :)

I bet the nissan case is still there... That thing is bullit proof!!! alot of other trucks idolize them also. Gear driven, makes them tough. I wont get rid of mine for nothing.

I am betting that it is!! hahaha....

oh, and STILL NEED MORE INFO ON THE 3.6 SWAP!!! I need this in the worst way. Can you take pictures of the trans, motor mounts, drive shaft, engine bay from all angles, and oil pan

Dude, I will mail beer!!! :)

yes still use the nissan t-case , like you said its bullet proof. The motor is coming out in 3 weeks or so for some tinkering. I will take lot and lot of pic for you. in the mean time have a look here :

http://www.v6convers...u/nissan720.htm

I have got to find one of those buick engines. The whole concept sounds awesome, but I need a standard trans. I have a thing about automatics, I just don't like the way they feel, or my inability to fully control the gear selection.

If there is any more information you have about the swap or maybe wiring or something of the sort, id love to see it. I understand it may be hard to come by. Thanks and good luck with the future mods. Keep us informed!

I have got to find one of those buick engines. The whole concept sounds awesome, but I need a standard trans. I have a thing about automatics, I just don't like the way they feel, or my inability to fully control the gear selection.

If there is any more information you have about the swap or maybe wiring or something of the sort, id love to see it. I understand it may be hard to come by. Thanks and good luck with the future mods. Keep us informed!

I am glad you like it , I will do a full write up (how to ) of the whole build soon , so just watch this space :)

BTW you can use a T5 manual (not sure what it comes in the US ,maybe old vetts or Buick GM) , but with the power and weight in the rear it get abit uncontrolable on the street for a manual, my rebuild motor will have close to 300hp when its done.

abit of progress on the new dash I done this weekend

wiring diagram :(

20120525_170829.jpg

new dash , waiting on new vdo gauges

20120526_161010.jpg

control box with switches and lights

20120527_165050.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update , been very buzy at work the last two months , but I manage to finish off my dash , I am not 100% happy with the finish so I am going to add so carpet to the dash ,lol.

I will be wiring it up this coming weekend and then it should be installed back in.

5yu9gp.jpg

I should also have the new engine in within 6 weeks if things go my way , yay!

• 2 weeks later...