Shocks for my L320

rkldesign

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought shocks for my 320, I couldn't find exact replacements when we searched for "320 Datsun", but I did find a rear shock that bolted in. The rear shocks came out of a KIA or something. I wish I could remember. Your local auto parts store should have a book that they can use to crossreference by length and top/bottom mounting styles.

The front shocks I bought were for a 620 or 720 Datsun. They were the same length and the top mounting was the same, but the lower mount was different (better in my opinion). It was wider and had a much beefier rubber bushing. So I cut the lower mount off the control arm and used generic shick tabs to make new ones.

I spoke to a parts supplier today and they said I need to measure the shocks extended length and then they will be able to find a replacement.

I think I will remove one front and one rear and take it in to see if we can match them up.

Will report back later on this one.

I spoke to a parts supplier today and they said I need to measure the shocks extended length and then they will be able to find a replacement.

I think I will remove one front and one rear and take it in to see if we can match them up.

Will report back later on this one.

I just went and got shorter rears because mine is low, but I still need fronts. Update this when you find out what the numbers are.

for the front:

Monroe 32206 is what i used.

for the back:

Monroe 31162 rear is what i was told but i am using the cheapest they had (gabriel) at Autozone at that time i bought them. dont know the part # right now as they did the length and compressed test measurements.

here is a link on the same topic:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16944-replacing-l320-shocks/

Well, I did locate some vintage rear shocks, NOS, and installed and the bed is not a bouncy experience anymore. But the front is being harder than I thought. I tried buying the Gabriel shocks and they turned out to be way to big, long and the lower connection was too wide for the slot for the knuckle to slip into. SO I am still on the hunt. I did find, however a supplier for the door seals, called pinchweld seal, here in the states. I am getting a sample ring of the different types of seals and will report on what I find.

I did find, however a supplier for the door seals, called pinchweld seal, here in the states. I am getting a sample ring of the different types of seals and will report on what I find.

I have found part# 1120A223 at "McMaster-carr"(la.sales@,mcmaster.com) works as a good door seal, hardhead320 used it on his L320, and I used it on my NL320, the only thing I noticed was the lower middle of the door didn't touch that well, but the car is almost 50 years old.

I also found the best window channel felt(Part# 802-24) is the roadster stuff from ralleye enterprizes, http://www.datsunroadster.com/ , the only issue is that you have to order two sets, as one order(two doors) for a roadster will only do one 320 door.

I have also talked with mike K. about front shocks for the 320, he has come two the conclusion that the lower shock mount of the shock itself has to be ground off a little on both sides, so it will fit in the lower mount of the LCA.

Thanks Wayne for the info on the door seals. That helps alot. I did see some KYB shocks that looked to be the right size except the width of the knuckle or eye as the parts guy called it. They are "gas a just" which are under pressure and strapped. I installed these once before a long time ago but have forgotten how to do it once they have been unstrapped. I seem to remember that I jacked the truck up so high to extend the suspension attach the upper post and then using another jack to compress the shock to it new location in the LCA. SO I think I will need to do some grinding to get it to fit the LCA as you said. Will have some fun trying to get them installed.

Ok, Sample shock is with parts guy and he is going to do some more research on a match for the front. I may have to go the route that Matt mentioned about removing the lower mount and welding in a new one to receive the larger shock fitting. But I am not going to give up just yet on a good replacement.

• 1 month later...

Richard,

Paul in Martinez told me that I should look you up (my apologies for the hi-jack). I bought his 320 and just went out to look at the shocks that were put on the front of that truck. They are KYB 343208. There does not appear to be any modifications to the LCA to make this fit. So, on the 65 L320 this appears to be a good part/shock.

The fitment guide I did see on the web is that this shock is for the 66-77 standard beetle/ghia. http://www2.cip1.com...Code=KYB-343208

Rockauto shows this shock for less money than the other site: http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,63,partnum,343208,d,KYB_343208.html

Let us know if you find additional/better shock choices.