Question on 240sx front subframe swap/install

Mirrorimg

I bought a 76 KC a month ago and was finally able to get it home after a few headaches. It came from Nevada and I planned to drive it home to Virginia but that was a bit naive of me. I had it shipped and it arrived on Sunday, so since then its been a constant search for what to fix, replace, and upgrade.

My rough plan is this, 5 lug swap, disk brake conversion, coilovers (at least in the front), engine swap (been toying with the SR20 idea over the KA) and swapping to a ball joint front end. I've been locating the things I need to do all this (the coilover and engine swap would probably happen further down the road after the car is mobile) and came across a post from Beebani in his coilover bracket thread. It mentioned grafting a modern front clip onto the truck rather than replacing everything one at a time.

Has any one done this? I'm not new to working on cars, but that is certainly well beyond my personal knowledge. If its feasible, it would make more sense to do that which will tackle all of the projects in one fell swoop.

Thoughts?

tl;dr: Interested in front subframe swap from 240SX into 76 620 KC

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it this is the member you are referring to? Pejsa.

http://www.stancewor...ead.php?t=22466

I will have to dig into the thread for ideas. I was under the impression the entire subframe would be cut and modified to fit between and around or bolted to the frame rails. What I hadnt thought about was the upper mounts for the coils, since they mount to the fender well/shock tower in unibody cars. Pejsa is doing a tube frame, but would it be possible to cut the shock towers out of a S14 front clip, and reinforce/install them in the 620's bay? Or would something independent of the body be required?

Like this:

04_08_09009.jpg

Edit:

After looking more into Chad copelands build, I may go that route. I'm not thrilled about cutting out the inner fenders of the truck to make room for the towers, but I can box them in with some new metal and leave an access hole at the top for access to the strut mount. Dont want all sorts of dirt and grime getting into the bay of a car that's going to see a lot of road time.

I understand its going to be a lot of work, but I'm trying to tackle multiple birds with one stone. And since this is a project and I don't have all of the funding available for it right this moment, I'm content with planning out the most effective method to achieve the desired results.

My initial plan was:

-Hardbody drop spindles, Toyota 5lug hub, beebani's custom upper arm and hardbody lower arm for both 5lug and balljoints.

-Since I would be using hardbody spindles, I could use hardbody disk brakes and rotors for a 5lug.

-Beebani's coilovers brackets with qa1 or similar coils for the coilovers suspension.

If I do the 5lug 240 front suspension, it answers all those needs. Ball joints, disk brakes, spring/strut, and 5lug.

Do you think it would be better to upgrade instead of replace Redeye? I don't know if you remember me from before, but I eyed your KC when I saw you were planning to sell it at some point. :D

It really depends on your fab skills and your budget.

Upgrading can be done in stages as you have $ and are mostly done with standard hand tools, where replacing is a one shot deal and will take a lot of time, tools, skill and/or money. It's all in where your strengths are.

Yep, I remember you. It will still be for sale at some point, but I am still upgrading stuff a bit at a time. :D