521 drum brakes

Does anyone have a picture of what the 521 front drum brakes should look like? When I bought this one they told me they had put new pad on it. The brakes were real soft and I had to pump them. They also pulled to the right. So, after I got it running decent re-did the wheels and put new tires on it, I took it to Les Schwab to look the brakes over. They said the pads were put on backward on on side on the front. I thought they said the passenger side. So, when I got it home I pulled the drum off and compared it with the repair manual which doesn't show a lot of detail. It looked O.K. So, I pulled the driver side off and it matched the passenger side.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the master cylinder and re-do the wheel cylinders. But, I don't know if the pads are on wrong.

I should have taken a pic while I had the drums off.

Also, any suggestions regarding the purchase of a master cylinder and the wheel cylinder kits?

I got some info in a response from the 521 page. I thought I'd put it here on the brakes section. I'd still like to get a picture of what they should look like.

P1000138-1.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

anything Made in Japan is best. nabco/tokico

most I have seenit taiwan/Italy made stuff.

wheel cylinders dont come with the Y pipe/bleed/hook up. 3/4 or 13/16 dont matter to me. they close enough in my opinion

Master cylinders one has to adjust the threaded rod that goes to the pedal. I notce mine were all to long and hadto hackway about 1/2 off. Otherweise the pedal pushed the rod into the master thus putting pressure.

Im running a cast iron Doorman brand(Taiwan)

• Like 1