Ticking sound help

Meltor

I have noticed a ticking sound this week coming from my truck. I thought it was a valve that needed adjustment. I adjusted my valves yesterday and still the tick is there. I tried to narrow down where it is coming from and it does not seem to be in the engine. it almost sounds like it is in the bell housing.

about the tick:

it does not tick when cold. only after the truck is warm does the tick happen.

it follows the rpm's. i can rev the engine and the tick gets faster and then slows with the rpm's.

when at a stop and the shifter in neutral i can feel the tick through the shifter. slightly.

i am at a loss and dont know what this is. could anyone help me or have you seen this before. i am worried i am gonna break down soon. blah!

please and thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your tranny fluid level and color, could be the cluster gear bearing, it would be a rpm noise, not a how fast your driving noise.

If the noise goes away when the engine is running, clutch pressed in, and the tranny in gear sitting still/not moving, then the tranny is suspect.

Hole/crack in the exhaust coupling pipe next to the tranny?

I have the exact same symptoms you describe here. I haven't pulled my exhaust manifold off yet, but when I do I'm expecting either a cracked manifold or a leaking head pipe flange. My thought is that when the cast iron heats up and expands, it pulls open a crack and the tick gets louder.

so i took my truck into cottmann transmission where i had my clutch done in december. told them about my ticking sound and the rattle coming from my clutch and they said nothing is wrong we dont hear a tick and that rattle is normal. everything is fine.

damn it this tick is pissing me off.

anyways gonna go get my exhaust replaced

when your t.o arm isnt fully clipped onto the front casing, it will make a ticking. there is a spring clip inside the arm that clips onto a ball inside the front case, and if they didnt bend it back into shape, or replace it, it wont fully clip on and will just hang out in there held in place by the slave cylinder and to bearing. try unbolting the slave cylinder from the tranny and move that arm around (with little pressure) and see if it moves. i say little pressure cause if it is hooked, with enough pressure you can unhook it, then you gotta take th tranny off to put it back on.

The arm should be rocking on the clutch arm pivot ball. It's a fulcrum point.

FS5W71Bteardown002Large.jpg

tAlandsteelcoverplates.jpg

The slave pushrod goes in the dimple on the far right of the arm. The larger bump in the middle is where the pivot balll seats

goon5speedswap200mmcollar037Large.jpg

so i went under my truck and found no exhaust leaks. but i did find this

slave.jpg

when i push this to the right i can feel nothing but when i pull it to the left i can feel the tick.

Pushing the clutch arm to the left moves the release bearing into contact with the diaphragm fingers on the pressure plate. In the position it's in with the clutch peddle up the release bearing shouldn't be spinning so it's unlikely this is the cause of the noise. Look in the opening behind the arm with a flashlight and see that the arm is engaging the pivot ball.

if you look to the right side, you will see that dimple that the ball sits in. Also see how close the spring pieces are together, that is to ensure it snaps around the ball end.

And if it flattens from someone putting it on wrong, it won't pass completely over the ball to clip on behind it