Headlights cause truck to die?

ZackeryNM

Something at the positive battery terminal is rattling or vibrating loose and causing my truck's headlights to shut off and kill the engine. I still have running lights and stereo. I've tightened all of the connections once before when the problem first occurred. This time I can't go any tighter and I feel as if it could be one of those plastic connections further down the line. Are replacements made? Any tips? I'll post pics later if I remember.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds more like a short to me... In the headlight wiring. Or the headlight switch assembly. Should take that apart and clean it really good. Think there is a write up on here for it. Rule that one out.

hmm... and id check Alternator connections on the back. Just to take care of the important electrical issues.

Think they call that clip thing the fusible link. I read some thing about it in someone else thread... I dont remember the title.

Well, take that clip thing off your Pos. side of the battery and clean everything really good, and ensure it clips back on there good. I know that if you unclip it, while your truck is running. It will die. So that could be the cause. Check that all the wires going into it are tight, and clean.

Doing some reading in my haynes manual. The fusible link at the battery controls the headlight, and ignition. I think that is the problem. I would follow it down and make sure that all the connection are tight. Pull them apart, inspect inside for corrosion, and loose/poor contact.

Headlights, or headlight switch, can't cause the engine to stop running.

Something .. [is] causing my truck's headlights to shut off and kill the engine

Yes, so how to find out what it is?

I'd disconnect and reconnect the Fusible Link first thing. If the connections look corroded, clean it up.