My 75 710 hard top build thread...

toadx8u

thanks for the props guys...im looking forward to the new spirited drive when its done...

here is a shot of my S14 with the built RB....i powder coated the turbo housing and all the engine covers

459668_10150683008744933_1970611528_o.jp

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup they are the "smiley" headlights but are also referred to as ellipsoid headlights....I used the BMW bracket that came with the lights....cut out the core support behind the lights...just a big hole so everything would fit...surprisingly you can use the lower center bolt on both sides with the mounting hole on the new light assembly had to make a bracket to bolt the top center on the new light assembly....light output is amazing from the H11 bulbs, I did get the silver stars cause I love those bulbs, I just wanna figure out how to have the high and low beam both on with the high switch.... And before anyone starts blasting me with those are RHD lights the assemblies I got are world friendly meaning there was 3 screws on the back of the projector that could be loosened and the housing turned for RHD or LHD use...this is the light I got but I scrounged mine off eBay from someone who couldn't use them any longer... http://www.bavtoys.com/e30depo.php

You wil also need the 2 prong plugs, the white yellow and blue ones not the US market ones that fit a 9005/9006 setup, to fit the lights they are easily found on eBay for about 20$

You want the outer lights for "low" beam and all four lights for "high" beam? And you have the BMW ellipsoid lights? I have the same setup. Let me know if you are interested in a diagram, and I will draw it up for you. BTW: For optimal removal of the bulbs when they eventually die, use the 9005XS bulbs (higher wattage). They have the "straight" design, versus the "L-shaped" design. Easier to wire and easier to remove later...trust me...

The bulbs are single prong with a ground that goes to the housing...the plugs are 2 prong and there are 3 of them

Hmmm...I am getting a little confused. 3 plugs with two prongs, but the ground is in the housing. Pictures? I want to do an appropriate diagram for the bulbs. It sounds like the bulbs have both "Low" and "High" filaments, versus the 9005 bulb which is just a single filament (two prong, one for power and one for ground) bulb.

I see what you have now. Cool. Give me through the weekend, and I will post a diagram for you.

For the "City Light" function, (bear with me, I remember this while being stationed in Germany...)I recall that being the "Smiley" part of the bulb...do you want that as part of your parking lights?

^^^^^^And the bulbs are H1 or H11?

Let me start by helping you get a shopping list together:

3 "Bosch Style" 30 Amp SPST relays with end connectors (or go with Insulated Spades - Minimum 12 for the relays)

4 spools of different colored wires (for this exercise, lets go with Black, Yellow, Red, and Blue) (12 Gauge)

Insulated Ring End connectors for 12/14 gauge wire

Butt Connectors for 12/14 gauge wire (or you can solder the connections)

3 Inline ATC fuse holders with 30 Amp Fuses (or find one of these: http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/Website%20Images/ATCfusedist_med.jpg)

(Optional List):

Go to the junkyard. Find the European car section. Find any VW Golf or BMW 3 or 5 series (the headlights MUST be the sealed beam variety). Take the 3-Prong connectors and 6+ inches of pigtail. This will allow you to wire it directly to your existing wire harness without hacking up your old wiring. You will need 2 of these.

Go to an electronics supply store. You want "Male to Male Spade connectors. This allows you to connect two Female Spade Connectors in-line together.

This is off the top of my head. I will continue to work on the wiring diagram.

Yes, that is what I was going to draw for you.

Well, this is awkward...

The low beams get one relay, triggered from the outer lamp low beam, closest to the battery.

The high beams get two relays, triggered from the high beam lamp, and it is "double wired" on the same wire as the low beam. The only thing I did not remedy in my wiring is the "flash" function - the low beams must be on for my high beams to work.

lol no awkwardness i appreciate all the help.... also my ebrake assembly that bolts to the bottom side of the axle is there some rubber bushings that are supposed to be on it? my ebrake works well but when i hit a bump in the road it makes a crazy racket... i couldnt figure it out for a while what was actually making the noise until i was under the car taking the trans out and just happened to kinda wiggle the thing around and it almost duplicated the sound....is there some way to rebuild these or has anyone else delt with this before?

so i just ordered my speedhut.com gauges since someone suggested them to me and i liked them better then the autometer and they were less expensive... got my GPS speedo...10k tach... and a quad guage (oil psi, water temp, fuel, volts) all 3 3/8"

• 3 weeks later...