My 75 710 hard top build thread...

toadx8u

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks better in black because its less noticeable and goes well with the color of the car. I agree with INDY but only a hundred thousand times better than the stockers but it's a good job you did on them. I feel that tube bumpers look like they should be on a 4x4 (sorry doesn't sound very constructive does it?)

Thanks for the props guys...I have less the 25$ in material on this and about 10 hrs worth of work mainly walking back and forth to the car seeing what I like and what I didn't...every thing was done by eye in a vice(I need to build a welding table)

Lol did you notice the one on my truck in the background holding the 17500 lb winch?

Will this one get a winch too?

Looks really great for something put together with a vice - I thought that you had a tube bender to match up the four pieces so well. I like the way it looks from the front view. with the top and bottom both the same length. Maybe cutting the ends at an angle would only work if the bumper wrapped more around the corners of the car?

Lol no winch.... And no the tubing is thin wall emt used for like electrical stuff...I decided to go with 1 1/4 tubing, after scratching my head over size for about 20 mins in lowes, 2 90* bends and 1 stick that was 120" and a piece of 1/8" flat bar....I cut the 90s with a hack saw, I thought I was cutting them equal but one leg ended up being longer then the other... So I just matched the cut on the 2nd one...then for the straights I held up the set of cuts I had made to find a reference point it ended up being the screws for the blinkers which just happened to be 40" apart so this gave me a good starting point.... The emt tuning has a galvanized coating which has to be burned and grinded off b4 you can weld on it, otherwise it puts of toxic fumes (zinc oxide) so once I got all my ends burnt and ground down I could start welding... I tacked the ends on and tacked the tubes together and went to fitting to the car... I probably walked in and out of my garage 50 times to do this

REALLY diggin' this look - you practically read my mind for a bumper solution. I have been mulling over doing something like this or using diamond plate to make a bumper. been thinkin' 'bout a utilitarian look for my 710 'Goon.

Cant tell.... what did you use for bumper brackets?

REALLY diggin' this look - you practically read my mind for a bumper solution. I have been mulling over doing something like this or using diamond plate to make a bumper. been thinkin' 'bout a utilitarian look for my 710 'Goon.

Cant tell.... what did you use for bumper brackets?

i made them from some 1/8" x 4" flat stock

putting some love into the car this afternoon just cause i was having some issues with the clutch the other week....and im tired of hearing the old shocks beat around every bum that i hit

526158_10151142966574933_1984672459_n.jpg

So I got the shocks (kyb # 343149) done the other night with no issues.... Went to do the slave cylinder (perfection# 37493) and master cylinder (perfection# 39271)the next night and the almost 40 year old connections didn't wanna come apart....so I went searching for a way to fix the issues with an upgrade as well... I came up with this and im providing all information for anyone else who wants to go this route: I measured the hard line and come up with roughly 62" in length so I went online and started searching for braided stainless lines I ended up finding a 3an braided line 65" long for 27$ on www.hyperracing.com (item# 37-135) then went on www.jegs.com and picked up two 3an to 10mm x 1 adapter fittings for 10$ (item# 100765) this should help increase pedal feel and cause everything is stainless there should be no issues with future maintenance

375946_10151157947984933_812335171_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Flex lines will give more than hard lines. This won't be much but the peddle will be softer. Not a problem with a clutch application but for brakes hard lines are best and the use of flex lines should be only used from the hard lines to the wheels.

I drove a rusty ford ranger from maine for several years, it was che becouse the brake lines had many holes in them.

A local shop made me braded stainless steel lines for every inch of the brake system. They made it seem lile it was common practice.... Luckily i never had any problems, and the lines never even tried to move around.

Hmn... now why dont more people converting Autos to manual do something like that instead of freaking out over making hard lines?

i dont understand why they dont just make hardlines its not hard at all im not sure why people are so afraid of it