my transmission finally exploded

Skulptr

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You also have the z22 that got a different length tranny. And if I remember your shaft also has a different design, has a different yoke or something

There were long and short 5 speeds so there will also be two different length primary driveshafts. Initially the 2wd and 4wd used the same U joints and drive shaft diameters but from Oct '82 the U joints, driveshafts and the flanges on the T case and differentials were made larger. With 2:1 transfer case and 3.592 first gear the Z24 was applying some serious torque!

• 2 years later...

old post I know but remember the good ole days! Anyhow when it cooled off some outside I started on pulling the tranny. Then it got dark so maybe tomorrow will finish. Took loose the front drive shaft and the intermidet shaft took loose the starter and the slave cylinder off. Looking at the few tranny pictures on here I guess this has a slip yoke on the rear of the tranny since I do not have any good pictures. I have read that the back of the motor needs to be supported but I have not done that yet. I have taken down the one bolt on cross member under the tranny. Will have some pictures of this to post later. I also have taken the shifter loose already too.

Drain it before removing the driveshaft.

Loosen and remove the speedo cable.

Loosen and remove the shifter

The engine can droop some and rest on the cross member under the pan. This will help you to get at the trans mounting to engine bolts

Consider loosening the exhaust down pipe for more room on that side.

Consider removing the torsion bar also and the tranny is easier to swing to that side and drop out.

I did not drain before taking the driveshaft out of the back but caught most of it. the front driveshaft could not unbolt from the t-case without cutting bolts. So no need to say that the speedo cable is on the transfer case. Took loose the front differential after could not get the tranny out. The one bolt in the front and the brace in the rear. Still could not get it out until I figured out there is a plate to remove in the floorboard between the 2 shifters that allow the rear to go up enough to let the front drop out. Got the front case off the tranny and other than bearing having a lot of play do not see any signs as to why fifth gear sounds so bad. Again I have pics but not sure when I will post yet.

Oh well will try a little more later. Will go look at the post instructions. Seems like it has been years and this new windows 8 pc all seems a little strange.

Also I have not got the cover off the tail end of the tranny yet. It is still just hanging on like I need to take loose something from the shift linkage.

The photo is to blurry to see much when I clicked on that photo link, and a small pop-up window appears, when I try and close it, a whole new window opens with more crap, I usually post the photos for you guys that can't for one reason or another, but I won't be going there anymore.