my transmission finally exploded

Skulptr

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did that to ALL of them, this was the best looking of the bunch. Friday I'm taking this one back, and I'm going to pull every engine in every truck and open every tranny until I find one with good internals. My.front case is good enough for me, now I just need something in one piece to put in it.

They did that to ALL of them, this was the best looking of the bunch. Friday I'm taking this one back, and I'm going to pull every engine in every truck and open every tranny until I find one with good internals. My.front case is good enough for me, now I just need something in one piece to put in it.

I thought you were going to use your tranny.

I'm going to pull the good cluster bearing , slap it back together, and take it back. They don't reuse anything that gets returned.

I'm going to pull the good cluster bearing , slap it back together, and take it back. They don't reuse anything that gets returned.

I'm not sure I would use a used bearing that has had metal tainted gear oil in it, buy a new one at the auto parts store.

why, when this one is free. And I'm still going tranny hunting.

And why do you keep saying the oil was metal tainted. There was no oil in it, and technically all tranny end up with metal tainted oil

screwed again. all the tranny's left are 31" and 2 wheel drive. no shaft to change over, so completely useless.

so 2wd king cab have long shaft, 2wd single have short shaft as well as 4x4 single and 4x4 king

The only difference between a short and a long tranny is the length of the top mainshaft. (and the tailstock) The counter shaft, gears, bearings, synchros are the same.

but i do not have the means or tools to rebuild one. or i would have just done that to the tranny i already own

It is. This was an '85 CA18ET 5 speed... still an FS5W71B though. Here's my diesel 5 speed counter bearing...

FS5W71Bteardown003Large-1.jpg

I pulled this tranny in a wrecking yard. Should have known there was trouble when a ball bearing fell out with the oil. The counter bearing came apart and wasn't supporting the front of the counter shaft. The shaft would moce off center under load and eventually it sheared just in front of the adapter plate..

transNAPSZ5spdbroken.jpg

Mike our CA18ET's had the "C" trans, I've swapped bells with the S13 KA trans before. Did I miss something? I actually didn't read the whole thread though :)

The earliest CA18ET was the '84 model year 200sx and was still using the FS5W71B. After '86.5 the C was used.

My '85 CA18ET 71B 5 speed...

transCA18ETFS5W71Btranny0014Large.jpg

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx001Large.jpg

Traded the bell for a KA-E head. He thought I was an idiot..... I thought he was. :lol: :lol:

interesting thread. Found that a lot of people have a 5th gear whine that gets so bad you do not use it like the truck i bought. My first gear i hear clicking at lo speeds. So i will be doing something soon. And from what i read i should of kept the tranny from my 81 but it would need work since my 4x4 is a regular cab with a 2.4 liter motor and the 81 was a 2.2 2wd kc. Thinking about selling it before the tranny does go out.

Does anyone know if the rear of the tranny can be swapped over? Or how to get the rear apart to find out

Yes they can be swapped. 4 speeds won't fit on 5 speeds. I swapped an '85 720 diesel tail onto my '79 zx 5 speed to get the short shift.

Place a couple of pieces of 2x4 on the floor and stand the well drained tranny on end on them. Remove the speedometer drive pinion sleeve and any switches on the right (pass side) of the tailstock only, then loosen the through bolts that hold the front and back case halves together. Rotate the shifter to the left (drivers side) and tap upward with a mallet on the rear mount boss.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx013Large.jpg

interesting thread. Found that a lot of people have a 5th gear whine that gets so bad you do not use it like the truck i bought. My first gear i hear clicking at lo speeds. So i will be doing something soon. And from what i read i should of kept the tranny from my 81 but it would need work since my 4x4 is a regular cab with a 2.4 liter motor and the 81 was a 2.2 2wd kc. Thinking about selling it before the tranny does go out.

Fourth gear will always be quieter because power is transmitted from the clutch spline directly through the transmission main shaft to the driveshaft. There is almost no side loading of any of the bearings. FWIW there is no actual 4th gear really in any 4 or 5 speed.

well i ended up putting a new bearing on the old tranny and putting it back together, took the old one back and couldnt find a single tranny to replace it with. for some reason the old tranny didnt want to go back together without a fight, the one i returned slid together pretty easily, but it also only had one bearing to push in. but all in all, i got it all together, pressure washed it, and got it back in the truck. i'll post pics and a write up (tomorrow after bloomsday) of what i did to take it out without pulling the engine, since i know i'm not the only one that doesnt have the resources to pull it.

Soooo.... my flywheel went shitz... :/

I had to pull the trans to get to it. Couldn't find an engine picker, so out the bottom she came....

It wasn't that bad. I think an hour and a half, I had everything out, and the tans slid all the way back. It took me the next hour to get the bolts on the flywheel off... Holy sheez-nuts. Who puts those things on?? I have a feeling, Arnold Schwarzenegger put them on, back in 1982, during his Mr Universe times... eff... those things were tight...

Well, any how... question is, what has that 225mm flywheel that I need for an 82 720 KC Z22?

gotta go back and read up on the swapping of tranny ends you got going on up there... I want to find something shorter then mine right now, so i can do dual cases... And also my 2nd gear is hella bad, and 5th don't work so good. Pops out while driving, a bunch.

An exact match were the '82-'83 S110 (200sx) and the '79-'81 280zx .... exact same.

Other 225mm flywheels that would fit and work, but may be lighter or heavier are: All '75-'79 L20B 620s, 810/Maximas, '73 and up 240/260/280z cars, all non turbo 280zx. All 720 truck motors with the exception of the 240mm flywheels on the Z24 and Z20. Not sure about the diesel flywheels.. they are 225mm clutches and they look like the L and Z wheels but better not chance it.

The flywheel mounting bolts are torqued to 100-115 ft lbs.

cool... Hope to find something lighter... That thing ways alot... Thought it cut one of my fingers clear off when it fell from the motor and smashed my finger to the cross member.

gonna have to write this down so i can go to the yard tomorrow and have a looksie...

Crap that is tight. I wonder if my 1" torque wrench even goes that high...