my transmission finally exploded

Skulptr

so now its time to get a new one.

i went out to play with the new ball joint spacers in. got 100 yards down a back road, going down hill, in 2wd. i dropped down into a rut so i could spin up some mud, put it in first, gave gas and let out the clutch. the noise i heard sounded like grinding a gear when shifting, but 50 times louder, then a BANG and the truck died. the engine will not stay running unless i hold down the clutch. the moment you let off, it dies instantly. and after getting the truck towed back to a level spot, we noticed gear oil coming from between the bell housing and engine. got it towed home, and in the driveway while trying to push it into the garage, i'm pretty sure ALL the gear oil that was left in it is now on the ground outside my garage. the only way we could tow it was to put the Tcase in neutral, and that wasnt easy. at first it would only shift between 2 and 4hi, we had to rock it to get it to slip into neutral.

so now my real dilemma. i have 8+ trucks to chose from in the local JY's, but my question is, is there a difference between the manual tranny mated to the z22 versus the z24? or even the l20 if i'm forced to go that route.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or is there any difference in tranny's from 2wd and 4wd. i've heard of different lengths, and i have no idea what they are. i'm going to be getting up early to start ripping mine out, any tips to get it out would be great. it was really easy to pull when i had the engine out, but i'm not pulling the engine this time

The 4x4s all used the same internal gearing with a lower first gear than the 2wd. This is not to say that a 2wd 5 speed won't work, just that it is slightly higher geared. If you have tall tires and do a lot of off roading you may find it affects the crawling.

The 2wd and 4x4 both come with long 31.5" and short 26" 5 speeds.

4x4 5 speeds do not have the speedometer pinion hole milled out as the transfer case has the drive cable in it. If you use a 2wd 5 speed just seal the speedo pinion so it doesn't leak oil or let water in.

The L series 4x4 5speed (same gearing) will only work if you swap the Z24 front case onto it to convert it.

The diesel SD22 and SD25 five speeds also used the 4x4 gearing but you will have to swap the Z24 front case on to convert it.

Help?

• Like 1

front case as in bell housing?

and on mine, iirc, the speedo cable is attached at the very rear of the tranny on the output shaft, but i will definetly be checking that before i go out hunting.

is there any difference between using the 2 different length tranny's, maybe just different length driveline from the tranny to the tcase?

i noticed a difference between my SC and KC when i moved the engine and tranny over, the KC has a "dampener" that bolted up to it, like the steering dampener. the SC didnt have one. didnt affect it much, just made for smoother shifting.

i think thats al the questions i may have. i'm still just baffled that the dam thing blew. i know my throw out bearing was shot, you could hear it grinding away when i didnt have the clutch pedal depressed, but i never imagine that it would have caused this. i'm just praying just the tranny blew with no damage to the t case or clutch :unsure:

Is this a 1985 nissan 4X4 with a Z24 in it?

If it is you will likely need a 1984+ shortshaft 5 speed behind a Z24 engine, as the Z22 engine/truck likely has a longshaft in it.

And the grinding you heard when the clutch was not pressed in was the cluster gear bearing falling apart.

i have an 85 4x4 KC, but the engine and tranny is from an 86 4x4 SC. everything bolted right in with no hassles.

if the clutch gear bearing went, would it cause the tranny to piss gear oil out the bell housing. i havent taken the trnany off yet, but i'm assuming the oil is coming from the shaft from the engine

i have an 85 4x4 KC, but the engine and tranny is from an 86 4x4 SC. everything bolted right in with no hassles.

if the clutch gear bearing went, would it cause the tranny to piss gear oil out the bell housing. i havent taken the trnany off yet, but i'm assuming the oil is coming from the shaft from the engine

Find a shortshaft 5 speed out of a late 84-86 nissan 4X4, or a 85-86 regular cab short box 2 wd truck, as they also have shortshafts, but as datzenmike said, the speedo drive will need to be plugged unless you just don't look at your speedo when in low range, but normally the speedo drive is connected to the transfer case.

• Like 1

Well not exactly the bell housing. Its the front case with bell housing.... all one piece.

trans280zbell.jpg

All the gears but 5th and reverse are in the front case half.

F4W71Bbell.jpg

If you have a 4x4 and the speedometer cable is run from the back of the 5 speed then it already has been swapped to a 2wd tranny. Take a look at the trans case the speedo drive should still be on it. Hopefully sealed up. :)

Yes you can use the short 5 speed if you also get the longer primary driveshaft to the trans case. Beware... at some point the yokes went from the 2wd size to a larger one. I found this out and had to swap the larger flanges on the trans case to make them fit.

• Like 1

damn looks like i've got my hands full with this one. i wish i remember exactly what it looked like when i put it in. but i've done a a half dozen tranny's since and its al kinda blurred together right now. i'm in process of drinkin this night away lol i just dropped a grand on the honda today, and then this crap happens.

Just measure the length. 26 or 31.5 Got to be one of them.

any tips for getting this tranny off in a timely manner? i have to get this one off, get out to the yard and get another, and get it back together, in one day.

any tips for getting this tranny off in a timely manner? i have to get this one off, get out to the yard and get another, and get it back together, in one day.

I hope you have a lot of help, I can do a R&R on a 2wd in about 5 hours, but to pull two 4X4 trannys and replace one, you will have had to do it a lot to get efficient at it.

Likely it will take you all day even with help, unless you already have the tranny you need out and waiting.

Unless there is a way of removing the tranny, without removing the T-case.

Start unbolting it, work fast. No special tips, just takes a bit of work.

In this photo the countershaft (lower ball bearing) looks good to me

th_620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx010Large.jpg

It is likely if he had gear oil coming out from between the engine and transmission, the front cover and lower bearing are wasted beyond repair, as that tranny already has the big lower bearing, and when it started making noise, he thought it was the T/O bearing and kept driving it till it broke.

FYI Skulptr, bad T/O bearings make noise when you press the clutch in, and cluster gear bearings make noise when the clutch is out.

It is. This was an '85 CA18ET 5 speed... still an FS5W71B though. Here's my diesel 5 speed counter bearing...

FS5W71Bteardown003Large-1.jpg

I pulled this tranny in a wrecking yard. Should have known there was trouble when a ball bearing fell out with the oil. The counter bearing came apart and wasn't supporting the front of the counter shaft. The shaft would moce off center under load and eventually it sheared just in front of the adapter plate..

transNAPSZ5spdbroken.jpg

well thats interesting. i did take the t/o bearing off when i put the tranny in the KC, and spun it, it was really bad. and i put it in anyway cause i didnt have the money at the moment for a new one.

It is. This was an '85 CA18ET 5 speed... still an FS5W71B though. Here's my diesel 5 speed counter bearing...

FS5W71Bteardown003Large-1.jpg

I pulled this tranny in a wrecking yard. Should have known there was trouble when a ball bearing fell out with the oil. The counter bearing came apart and wasn't supporting the front of the counter shaft. The shaft would moce off center under load and eventually it sheared just in front of the adapter plate..

transNAPSZ5spdbroken.jpg

You always have the best photos, but I can hardly beleave you bought that tranny.

I always pull them apart in the wrecking yard before I pay for them, I am not leaving with a POS.

i'm afraid to pull a tranny apart lol, especially in a yard full of mexican & russian "mechanics" running around jacking your tools while your under a car lol

i'm afraid to pull a tranny apart lol, especially in a yard full of mexican & russian "mechanics" running around jacking your tools while your under a car lol

You need to have done it a few times before you start doing it in the yard, I needed a tranny that was never made by nissan, so I would go to the yard, pull a 1986 shortshaft, then pull a 1980 L block longshaft, make what I needed out of the two trannys, and pay for one tranny when I left.