84 rough at shutdown

heartland

I was told when I bought the truck that it is due for a carb rebuild. That is on the agenda for the summer.

I have noticed that when I shut the engine down, it really is rough as it powers down.

Is this because the carb is going or is there something else I need to be looking into?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean dieseling or run on do you have a Weber on it? It may not have an idle cut solenoid on it. (also known as an anti dieseling solenoid)

Too high an idle can do this as well.

A quick and easy way to reduce this is to hold the brake on, put in gear and let the clutch out slightly to lug the motor while turning the ignition off. If you have an automatic just shut off in drive then place in park.

get an antidesieling solenoid, check to make sure you aren't running too rich, and if you have the solenoid already, make sure its actually working.

get an antidesieling solenoid, check to make sure you aren't running too rich, and if you have the solenoid already, make sure its actually working.

even with the anti dieseling solenoid... you can get run on or dieseling if you have your throttle plate open too wide either by malfunction(jammed/linkage gummed up/not correctly aligned) or having your idle screw in too far which would put you into the next circuit (primary main most likely) and then the "idle shut off switch" wont even do you any good.

Still.... put your car into the on position(not running) and pull the cable from the solenoid (if installed)to see if you here it click when taking it on and off... if it clicks, its good, if not, its no good, replace it.

I dont have one on my truck (plugged) and it never has any issues like this, but it is a 32/34 DFT 9a.

mine is bad too, and i rarely have a dieseling issue. my dieseling problem was the butterfly was misadjusted on the shaft, causing it to bind up when it shut. i have a thread on here somewhere where i rebuilt mine not too long ago