Almost ready for show time

Ofeargall

Well, it may not be a show stopper, but it's ours... For the last 18 years I've been moving the truck from place to place, always either short on time or short on money and unable to get it back in to running condition. I finally finished the brakes last week and my wife went to work detailing the rig after years of neglect. We had to put a rattlecan paint job on the hood because it was in really bad condition.

The goal is to have the truck ready for Beast Feast, a get together for guys only at the Green Villa Barn in Independence (Oregon) on May 2nd. Anyone who's in the area are welcome to bring your rig and drop in. We've got a huge roasted pig, bratwurst, beans, etc... and some great bikes/cars - and it's FREE. I'm hoping to have my bike there too, but the truck was the priority... I hope I get the front two rims painted by then ;-)

ed-after.jpg

My son made a battery box out of license plates (saw it here on Ratsun - great idea). Here he is in the 'Redneck Workshop' - a vice mounted to the bucket of our old tractor.

battery1.jpg

Here he is getting ready to mount the box on the rusty, old platform.

battery2.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I thought you sold your goon and bought a samurai! Yep, it's been a long time indeed. I was so disappointed today when I got everything all put together and drove down the road for the first time in 15 years and all I get is backfiring and no power... And then, it just started dying randomly.

Tha is for the battery box offer. This one was dual purpose- battery box and kept a teen age boy busy for a while!

Well, I made it to the show but the truck died on my way home... And, it rained for the show so a lot of guys couldn't make it but we had fun anyway. Maybe I'll reset my sights on Canby and Blue Lake. Here's some pix.

Loaded up and ready to go!

edd_loaded.jpg

My son and I headed down the driveway...

edd_leaving.jpg

After 15 years of sitting it was time for some gas. Last time I filled this rig you couldn't fit $20 worth of gas in it. Now, it only gets me 1/2 tank!

edd_gas.jpg

Made it to the show. Good times.

edd_barn.jpg

• Like 1

cool. i've got an old yamaha with no seat and still have no idea what to do for a seat. tractor seat is a good idea. looks good too. keep it up. what's next on the truck?

cool. i've got an old yamaha with no seat and still have no idea what to do for a seat. tractor seat is a good idea.

Yep, it's a pretty comfortable arrangement. I'll be bobbing the tail so the seat just hangs over the back tire eventually.

looks good too. keep it up. what's next on the truck?

Tough to say right now... I need mirrors and my brake lights aren't working currently, so those will have to be top priority. The fuse block is all rusty from mouse urine (which I believe is the likely cause of the brake light issue). My plan is to replace the fuse block with the newer fuses. I like the vintage fuses but this will eventually be a truck for my wife and sons and I don't want to run the risk of them ever being stranded.

Speaking of being stranded... We made it about a mile from the little show we were at and the rig broke down. It was dark and raining so we towed it to a friend's house and came back the next day with the trailer. Fortunately the bike was still in the pickup!

edd_trailer.jpg

I just rebuilt the carburetor on Saturday. I couldn't find a rebuild kit so I sort of made my own. A sharp knife and lipstick is the answer when making your own gaskets, just make sure it isn't your wife's favorite color of lipstick...

edd_carb02.jpg

My son helped me with the project.

edd_underhood.jpg

The float collar had long since been lost so he said, "what if we used a ring connector like you use with wiring, only we cut off the ring part?". Brilliant! He clearly gets his smarts from his mother. Anyway, he made a new collar for me and it was a perfect fit.

edd_carb03.jpg

After working on the truck all day, I figured "what 13 year old wouldn't want to drive the truck he'd been working on all day?". So, we took it on a bit of a backroads ramble to "test our work". Ran like a champ.

edd_ejf.jpg

While everything was apart I soda blasted it all and boiled the parts in 'Tide' laundry soap and water (outside...). Here's a link to my $5 soda blaster video. I use it all the time on aluminum stuff.

After working on the truck all day, I figured "what 13 year old wouldn't want to drive the truck he'd been working on all day?". So, we took it on a bit of a backroads ramble to "test our work". Ran like a champ.

edd_ejf.jpg

This is awesome!! I remember when my dad let my brother and I drive his '66 Roadster when we were just starting to drive and how excited I would get to be able to take it out. The look on your son's face is absolutely priceless. And, I LOVE your truck. Glad to see that you may have fixed the issue!

yikes! mouse pee, that'll do it. sux about about being stranded. but at least you got her home safe. love the $5 soda blaster. will have to try that on my bike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...