1979 210 1.4L High idle problem

1arky

I am new here and glad to find a space that I see other datsun owners!I grew up in and around old cars,my dad owned a auto parts(before Auto Shack- AKA- Auto Zone) put the little man out of buis.in a big town. I restore two 70 ss's and one 69.Kinda got away for it all since my divorce.So been eyeing this all original stright body,no rust 1979 210 with 54,300 original miles on it.The original owner was a ''know it all'' so I just listen to him tell me what was wrong with it.Lets just say he was a neighbor..The car would not idle,so he put a carb kit in it...and it didnt help..he ordered a new/rebuild carb off the net 300.00..They said it ran good for a few days but I dont know ,Anyway the car sit for awhile and I told him I would like the car because of childhood memories of taking a long trip to Dogpatch USA when i was just a child and the car was close to 80% new..well new old stock LOL.To shortn the story I bought the car and put it in my shop and started the basic test,compression (180 PSI all 4 cyl)all checked out ok.It wouldnt idle so I thought it was the intake manifold,shot some carb cleaner around the gaskets and she smooth up so I began my first ever working on a datsun.Went ahead and bought a full gasket set upper and lower.As I was removing the 1.4L intake /manifold I notice that the main leak was a blown gasket under the carb that was blown out(maybe from backfiring)not the original intake manifold gasket as I thought of corse it may of been leaking some but that was the main vain.The baby had a 1 inch suckin air valley !!No wonder she wouldnt idle!! Got her int/maifold cleaned up good and shucked all the smog shiz,(REMOVED ALL SMOG,pump,egr,lines in a box,pluged all the inlets and outlet so I timed her,checked corect plugs,gap,and the vaccum advance is bad as of now but that should not be why it is at a high idle.So I fired her up and she ran smooth but with a very high idle,well I thought I had a vaccum leak,next day or two I plugged and and plugged dubble checked.Iv ran the idle screw all the way up and I did put thenew carb that the original owner bought befor he sold it to me back on it,It's base plate has an extra vacumm outlet,so iv been thinking I would put the original carb back on it and see if that would help the fast idle,and you may wonder how fast it is idling,Iv been driving it about 1 month(thinking of selling it of keeping it)Iv never owned a rice burner but it grows on you and iv not seen one on the road yet and I drive alot.Well back to the fast idle,you can let off the brake and it will get up to 35 on a flat road..LOL it's an automatic trannie too and that one strong baby also fluid is brite clean and dipstick clean shiny,that was a concern to me how the trannie shifted out.The anti -deisl valve was checked ,,well i checked it by putting 12volts to it to make sure it was working,iam not sure its working while its installed,but with the cheep gas it run backwards but if i run mid-grade 92 100%gas no methanol she dont run backwards.My question is where would you start if i have NO vaccum leaks ?Timing is around 5-7 fast and the vaccum advance is bad but all outlet are plugged and the only vaccum iv not checked as iam here thinking about it is the vaccum running to the trannie but she shifts good and down shifts good I just dont think that would make it idle that fast..Iam leanning toward putting the original carb back on it..Any advice from you guys that live and breath these cars might cut me some down time.Going to love this site...Thanks Charles in arkansas

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$50 is a good price. Most of them are $45 to $95 at Nissan.

Used ones will probably not be optimum for your year & model of 210. For example, in 1980 there were six different vacuum advance parts for the 210. I find that 90% of used ones at the wrecking yard are bad.

Of course the original one was not ideal for performance, so any working one is better than a non-working one. On eBay you can sometimes find one as inexpensive as $20. Often times the honda ones are less expensive (some Hondas used a Hitachi distributor). For a list of compatible units see http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Late-model_Vacuum_Advance

• Like 1

$50 is a good price. Most of them are $45 to $95 at Nissan.

Used ones will probably not be optimum for your year & model of 210. For example, in 1980 there were six different vacuum advance parts for the 210. I find that 90% of used ones at the wrecking yard are bad.

Of course the original one was not ideal for performance, so any working one is better than a non-working one. On eBay you can sometimes find one as inexpensive as $20. Often times the honda ones are less expensive (some Hondas used a Hitachi distributor). For a list of compatible units see http://datsun1200.co..._Vacuum_Advance

Rockauto usually has these running about $11 before shipping, granted it is not going to be for the exact model, but better than a dead one.