Narrowed toyota 8 inch axle for 521.

jesusno2

so this has been a long time coming. Got it all sorted out now etc jig finished axles done. new bearings and seals. this pics are just the fab part of it. We had a really bent housing once we got the jig slid through the housing so we had to really shorten it up and re tube it. I have a feeling since toyota 4x4s like to eat rear wheel bearings that these housings when they got welded they pulled. thats my theroy anyway. On to some pics. If anyones interested id love to do more.

beveling tube

2012-04-15_12-25-50_960.jpg

fitting up some tubes

2012-04-15_12-37-13_461.jpg

tacking it up

2012-04-15_12-37-47_770.jpg

welding some tubes

2012-04-15_13-26-15_679.jpg

2012-04-15_13-26-31_828.jpg

mig welded the outer bearing housings

2012-04-15_14-23-02_448.jpg

final product

2012-04-15_14-22-11_806.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok was just wondering i saw it was threaded i was hoping it wasnt just a peice of all thread being called a jig cause that shit will deflect alot under heat lol. did you have it heat treated after it was threaded so its not in condition "n" or anealed anymore?

No its doesnt need to be its not that critical only reason i threaded the ends was so i could just suck it all together nice n tight with the cones on the end it keeps it all inline on the the bar. That bar doesnt even attempt to get warm welding it out. works slick. the bar is right their in the last pic.

• 10 months later...

yea works great here is another diff i'm finishing up for a ratsun member for a 521 with pathfinder rear disc brakes. just got the rotors today. but i gotta do a little machine work on my brackets i made. i also machine the toyota yolk to accept the datsun drive shaft flange. excuse the disaster in the garage lol.

IMG_20130310_174204_zpsa8093bfb.jpg

you use cones? not bearing sized slugs to make sure the ends are square and not just sucked together?\

This is a valid point. Cones squaring it all up depend on your cuts where as inserts/slugs square it up regardless. 

Looks like your cuts were on point though because that looks boss, good job. 

86 and up axles cut and resplined to fit what ever width I'm building but I'm using 79 to 85 housings they have the 2.5 diameter tubes. Like I said before the cones are to keep it universal as far as square cuts etc, well that's a moot point any fabricator knows to never trust any machine to cut square. Always triple check yourself, pull your measurements from the high side of a cut so you can shrink it up if need be always better to be to long than to short. My saw cuts dead square so I don't sweat it much but I always check I never assume.