carb problem

so i am not the best with carbs and my truck died while i was driving. it turns out that i am getting good fuel to the carb and good spark to the plugs. i took the fuel hose and i am getting tons of fuel to the carb but i am not getting fuel to the cylinders? the truck will turn over all day and sputter some with a little added starter fluid. i dont know what i should check and or do. any sugestions would be great. thanks in advance for the help

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had you checked the jets on your carb? You should get acquainted with the inner workings of your carb, they really aren't all that complex after tearing into them once or twice, especially if you have a weber.

I'd take it off, tear it down and clean every jet, air bleed and vacuum port with carb cleaner.... Always works for me.

Also go through and check your vacuum lines, make sure you don't have any leaks, especially right into the manifold.

alright. Should I just find a diagram online so I will be able to put it back together and what you are talking about haha? But thanks for the info. Ill give it a try tonight.

theres plenty of diagrams online of these carbs but they are so detailed and much more broken down then youd ever need to use for a reg clean out or rebuild...

There are air "jets" in the top of the bowl area and usually fuel jets in the bottom... make sure to keep straight which ones came from where or you wont have your truck running any better... they screw out with a flat head screwdriver.... then squirt em out with carb cleaner an the seats and ports they came out of with carb cleaner too... check for sediment on the bottom of the bowl in the carb too n make sure its all cleaned out.

Im sure theres some vids on youtube that show a tear down or rebuild that could prob help out a ton more.

with the air cleaner housing off, look down the thottle body, and turn the throttle full open, smell or see any fuel being squirt down the throat of the throttle?

did you check around all the vacuum lines n make sure they are all snugly fitted on and not cracked?

I know its nearly impossible to check if it wont even run, but do you know approx what was the last setting for timing? could it have been thrown off some how?

Didnt you just drop this motor in? and it ran for a lil bit right?

Did you do anything specific that might have caused this? anything at all?

Also.... Does your carb have a fuel cut off solenoid? make sure the solenoid is getting full 12V of power, at the carb, if its installed otherwise its going to shut off your fuel flow through the jets...

check fuses! theres 2 or 3 fuses for the wiring harness that goes to the carb, maybe one popped?

and this is just a stab in the dark, but my SC wouldnt stay running when this happened to me. check the brake booster vacuum line off the intake and at the booster. mine just fell off one day, had no clue and it wouldnt start for anything, it was just too big of a vacuum leak