Wylder's 65' L320 Build Thread.

Wylder1324

Thanks for the love Mike. Sad thing is I haven't even gotten to enjoy the damn thing yet…..but that time is coming. You are right, she is in great shape already…..but call me a perfectionist I suppose, there are still a few little things I want to get straightened out so that she's a little closer to be being THE nicest 320 out there.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I don't know man, I wouldn't restore it. There's a saying in the automotive enthusiast community: "You can restore something a million times over, but it's only original once."

Even the Pebble Beach concours has a "survivor" class for unrestored vehicles.

Go through it mechanically, do all the wiring, upholstery and replace the weatherstripping and rubber. The paint is nice already. Then you can say it's original.

Biggest reason I'm so open to changing things up (tastefully of course) is because it already isn't original.  It has an A14 engine and trans from a Datsun B210.  There is also some rust on the pax side rocker panel that will need to be cut out.  Paint is a solid 6/10 but real close it isn't as perfect as it appears.  If she had the original engine w/ hand crank etc I would be much more apt to keep it all unrestored original condition…..but I just dont feel she's a candidate.

Thanks for the love Stoff.  Who knows what I will do.  The paint is def happening but it will be the exact same color…..I simply must attend to the rust and its so hard to match spot painting when thats done.  I must admit I am really starting to think hard about an SR20DE….I have been reading a lot about the swap in the Roadsters and the idea of the modern amenities of a newer engine are intriguing…..stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Hi Wylder:

What size tires do you have, and are you happy with them?  I'm trying to decide between 205/75-14s, 195/75-14s, and 185/75-14s...

and I vote for keeping it original.  Its just less hassle, and it projects a better image (of someone that uses their truck for work, and not somebody that spends all their money and time on polishing it).

• 4 weeks later...

Truck is inching ever closer to being finished and ready for the 10 day cross country drive home in late September early October.  I will try and have pictures next week but here is a list of the latest additions.

1 - Upgraded Alternator

2 - Completely rewired the entire truck

3 - Painted engine bay black and several of the accessories body color for contrast

4 - LED Dome light

5 - LED strip lighting in the bed on 3 sides housed in custom made aluminum housings body color matched to look factory and honestly almost cant see them at all which is what I wanted.

6 - Body Color Matched Line-X in the bed

7 - Maple & Mahogany Datsun Shift Knob

Still a few things left to do before she's finished.  Stay tuned for pictures and more info.

As for my tires they are Cooper 185/75/14 white walls.  I can't say if I am happy with them or even if I would have chosen this setup if given the opportunity again but I got a killer deal through the previous shop that had my truck that I couldn't pass up.  I haven't even driven it with them yet but come September I will be able to give you a good idea on my thoughts.

As for my tires they are Cooper 185/75/14 white walls.  I can't say if I am happy with them or even if I would have chosen this setup if given the opportunity again but I got a killer deal through the previous shop that had my truck that I couldn't pass up.  I haven't even driven it with them yet but come September I will be able to give you a good idea on my thoughts.

Thanks man.  A little too late for me, since I went ahead and got Hankook 195/75-14s, which I'm really happy with so far ( http://community.ratsun.net/topic/36835-stock-l320-tire-size-decision-made-pics/page-2 )

• 3 months later...

Vegas bound on October 3rd to pick the trucks up.  We will be hitting the show in Williams on our way through and then detour up to the Grand Canyon and then quite a few scenic destinations on the way home…..will try to chronicle as much of it as possible on here as it happens.  The truck has had quite a few of the items taken care of I have been mentioning on here over the last year but I will save pictures for when I get there….stay tuned.

The worst part is she's pretty dusty and dirty but here is an update from last week of the engine bay.  Even this isn't current though as there is a new battery, Weber carb, new hoses and rubber.  But as you can see we got the wiring all cleaned up, sent the "AOOGA" horn packing, and cleaned it up a little with some flat black for now until I decide to pull the engine and really clean it up.

BEFORE

P1013109.jpg

AFTER

EE70FE8D-1633-41C0-805F-8E0E3F0ED243-740

Vegas bound on October 3rd to pick the trucks up.  We will be hitting the show in Williams on our way through and then detour up to the Grand Canyon and then quite a few scenic destinations on the way home…..will try to chronicle as much of it as possible on here as it happens.  The truck has had quite a few of the items taken care of I have been mentioning on here over the last year but I will save pictures for when I get there….stay tuned.

Beautiful Truck!!!  Love the racks and the interior. 

I hope to see you in Williams.  North Rim of the Grand Canyon is the most scenic,  however both are great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...