620 front end overhaul, part stack up

ohmrchristopher

I just wanted to bring this topic over from my build thread because I am not sure if everyone looks in there. I am hoping you can help me out. I am going to try and tackle my king pins (and the rest of my issues) next week so I am part shopping right now to overhaul all my old bits in the front (and rear a bit)

I have a King Pin kit

Speedo cable

Stabilizer bar bushings part

Stabilizer bar end links

Left tie rod

Right tie rod

Datsun rear shocks part

Ford pinto front shocks

Energy Suspension low pro bump stops

I need brake adjusters but my website is only saying the rears (a RH and a LH) but only the rears. Are the fronts and rears built up the same? Is there anything different from the front to the rear?

Also wondering about control arm bushings, I guess while I am in there I should be changing these too? There is just a front lower inner and a front upper outer? Nothing for the rear? Sorry, havent really had a look under the truck and arent sure what I need to be replacing.

Is there anything else I am missing under the front their? Just feel free to throw stuff at me, pictures welcome as it helps me get a better idea what I am after.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will also want a center link and an idler arm for the steering.

Bushings for your tension rods.

Your on the right track for the control arm bushings and there are bushings in your leaf springs in the rear.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1333056822' post='662751']

You will also want a center link and an idler arm for the steering.

Bushings for your tension rods.

Your on the right track for the control arm bushings and there are bushings in your leaf springs in the rear.

A whole link or can I not just buy new ends? Granted its only $40 for the rod but if all it needs is ends I'd rather do that. Are the ends the same as tie rods?

I am guessing the Idle arm goes to shit inside the body? Not a worry I will pick one of those up.

Now I am gald you mentioned the tension rods and leaf bushings. Where the fudge do I find those? Can a generic Energy Suspension kit do or do you guys have a p/n lurking somewhere?

You dont need new adjusters. Those are very simple & with a good cleaning & lube will work fine.

Thanks Doug, I'll do that tomorrow right away!

A whole link or can I not just buy new ends? Granted its only $40 for the rod but if all it needs is ends I'd rather do that. Are the ends the same as tie rods?

I am guessing the Idle arm goes to shit inside the body? Not a worry I will pick one of those up.

Now I am gald you mentioned the tension rods and leaf bushings. Where the fudge do I find those? Can a generic Energy Suspension kit do or do you guys have a p/n lurking somewhere?

I just ordered the whole link, you could do it either way.

The bushings in the idler arm wear out, takes a long time, but these trucks are all fairly old now and this is where a lot of play in the steering comes from :)

I used the same bushings used on the sway bar end links on my tension rods, ordered 2 sets.

Some good reading on the subject.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41108-tension-rods-and-bushings/

You should be able to get the leaf spring bushings from rock auto or spec them out and get a set from energy suspension. Not sure what size they are, someone here might know the energy suspension part number.

• Like 1

Awesome man!! Thats exactly what I was after. I will probably use the sway bar end link bushings.

So I had to to go to a '79 620 to find the rear leaf bushings. Can anyone clarify that '73 and '79 rear leafs are the same?

Oh I also see the "strut rod" bushings, can I use these? I feel like if I use the Energy Suspension bushings I would not be able to get the same crush dimension?