How to: Hydraulic E-Brake in a Datsun 510

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

How did you tie into the rear brakes?  Can you post pictures and maybe a decription of parts used?

If you follow the first post... its like someone magically posted a description and photos on how they did it...

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone see an immediate problem with flipping the MC 180 degrees, so you don't have all that line looping up into the car?

Only maybe bleeding the air out.

these are rebuild able? like whats the lifespan on one of these units?

i would like to plumb one of these into my laurel. But i wanted to keep a lock off from the front master cylinder, so foot brakes would be front alone. Hydro rear, and open everything to keep driving brakes

No. The stock set up has built in bias with more braking to the front because weight shift and engine add weight and traction to the front tires so they are harder to lock up. At the same time weight is lifted off the rears and this decreases traction and makes lock up easier.

You could never modulate this as good as the stock set up but you could lock them up. In all things, engineer for worst case scenarios. Panic stop with avoidance steering around a danger and you're tired. You need both hands to wrestle the steering you do NOT have time to grab the handle for the rear brakes and try to do as well as the stock set up.

The only use for this set up is to lock the rear wheels on a turn to force the car into severe oversteer. In other words drifting. That's fine, but oversteer is not the aim and to be avoided when making a controlled panic stop.

• Like 1

Mike I just about brought up this as a drift mod. I agree in a tense every day avoidance scenario I am white knuckles and retard gripping a wheel pumping my brakes. 

Might as well do 2 upright levers for drag steering too like on sand rails?

Good work on the write up.