how do i wire a msd 6a

Guys I have a match box dizzy and I wanted to know what was the correct way to wire up my mar 6 a .. i google it and it gave me like 6 ways to do it and I wanted to 100% sure how to wire it up .... My mar has a Orange red black and white wire , the it has thick black and red wires that go to the battery then it has a green and violet wire that I'm not sure where they go . My understanding is that remove my exsisting wires from my dizzy out . Replace them with the green and violet - to - and + to + then red and Orange go to + on the coil and black to the - and that's all . I'm I right or wrong ??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EASY. if it's like what I remember it's only a few wires.

-12V constant

-12V switched (ign 12v source is best. use -coil wire for the switched 12v source)

-Magnetic pick up (the two wires in the dizzy that run to the ign control)

-Ground.. run it to a good ground source and if possible, run a ground strap from there to the battery.

-Two coil wires go to... coil duh.

Yours also may have a tach output wire, but that's not required to make it run.

You need a wiring diagram to wire it properly and should have one with it, BUT...

4AC-msd-wiring.jpg

If you run a tach, make sure to hook it up to the MSD box, not the coil. The MSD box feeds the coil 480 volts (if I remember correctly). The diagram above is for something with the coil mounted to the distributor. Might be confusing. Google MSD instructions. They have many diagrams. Or try Summit, find the box and click on instructions.

Okay, lets back up a few notches and focus first on getting it wired on the datto.

-Heavy red wire goes directly to battery +

-Heavy black wire goes to a good chassis ground OR battery -

-Smaller red wire goes to a 12V switched wire. Meaning something that only provides 12V when the ign switch is on. You can use the current - coil wire to do so, since it provides a 12V switched source and will NOT be used again here.

-The Purple/Green go to the two wires currently hooked up to the matchbox on the dizzy. The matchbox is removed and will not be used here. Purple wire runs to green in the dizzy, and green to red.

-Orange and Black wires run to the ignition coil. The two wires that were attached to the coil are eliminated and no longer used. Orange to Posative+ and Black to Negative-

I think the MSD 6al has a switch to select 4,6,8 cylinder so check to make sure that you have the right one selected.

The car will now run!

NOW for your tach, there is a white wire on the 6AL that now feeds your tach. You no longer have to hook it up to your coil-

Just to clear up a few last points...

So does this mean that my existing dizzy wires get removed and replaced by the green and violet one

No, the existing dizzy wires are replaced by orange/black.

i have a autometer tach , does it matter if i leave it hooked up with the coil ..... smh im so confused now

No sir! Hook it to the white wire. That's your new tach signal wire.

Edited by metalmonkey47