J13 headers

jarvitron

Well, I know for a fact that you can use an MGB Cannon intake manifold to put a weber on a J13 (since that is what I have on mine), but has anybody ever tried using an MG (1800) header on a 520? I know it's a pretty simple flange design and it wouldn't be terribly hard to make a "custom" header, but I am secretly hoping that one of the cheapie Pacesetters will drop in. They're cheap enough I'll probably order one if nobody has tried it before, just seeing if I'm the only one.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The price for an "expensive" "ceramic coated" header for the MG is like $200 and I found an unpainted angle exit for $80 on Amazon. I am gonna go do some eyeballing to see if it'll clear Datsun engine compartment obstacles. I'm thinking the angled exit will work fine but who knows, maybe that first tube will ram straight into the fuel pump. It'd be worth $80 to me to get rid of the bohick lookin' plate I had to put in over the intake heat riser hole.

• 4 months later...

I've got a Pierce intake and weber on my E1 (L320). I thought about doing the same thing. Did you pull-the-trigger on the header project? I was thinking that I could cut the header primary pipes and weld them into bungs/openings in a straight piece of 2 inch tail pipe (cap the front end, of course) and then just chase the same single exhaust pipe path out the back of the truck. Couldn't be any more restrictive than what I have now, would remove the hokey cover plate issue, I could control the length of the primaries and avoid fitment issues and who-knows.... it might be a decent mod. My only concern, without seeing the headers is the quality/thickness of the flange.

• 1 month later...

I pulled the trigger but the headers are still in a box, unfortunately, my daily driver decided to grenade the engine and force an engine swap. After doing some tape-measure dangling it doesn't look good, I'll post pics once the shop is ready for the truck.

I have pacesetter headers on my j13 love em!!! Not a great fit but what else are you going to run lol...video on my post with straight side dump 2.5 exhaust...I also have a webber and an intake manifold from a mgb racecar setup pretty slick

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46703-steves-single-headlight-520/#entry749028