Timing Chain Wedge

Nissan_Boy85

Ok, I know I've seen it before, not sure where and I've spent too much time scowering Ratsun and Google for it. Does anyone know or have a link to some dimensions for a "DIY Timing Chain Wedge" for a Z24? The head gasket decided to go buh-bye and I need to get it done before next weekend. Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before locking timing chain, loosen the cam sprocket bolt first, then set TDC. Motor MUST NOT MOVE once locked or chain will loosen. Block the wheels and place in neutral so jostling the body won't bump the motor over.

Make a wedge from a piece of wood. 1/2" wide and 6 1/2" long and tapering from 1 3/4" at one end down to 1 1/4". Drill a hole in the wide end and thread some rope through it so you can pull it out easier. Hammer down firmly between the chains below the cam sprocket

You can buy them but time and gas... just make one.

I've heard of stuffing a folded piece of garden hose down between the tension and slack chains. All you have to do is support between the chains to prevent the tensioner from pushing out when the cam sprocket is removed and there is any slack.

THIS... must be avoided...

tensionerout.jpg

• Like 1

I use a hammer handle. Fit perfectly down. Though it is loose. I tried hammering a block of wood down, but it got stuck, so dont hammer too much.

I just use it to keep the tensioner from pushing out, then when you take the cam gear off, just make sure to fold the chain over appropriately to avoid it falling down. Worked for me 4 out of 4 times I have done it.

• 1 month later...

timing cover must be removed if tensioner falls apart? can tensioner be put back together? just had this happen tonight doing a cam. wood didnt holt tight enough and popped upwards :(

Yes tensioner can be put back together rather easily. remove timing cover and fix. You gotta jam wood down in there between the guides to keep it from falling out. drill hole throught he top of it and attatch a piece of rope to get it back out when done

just buy the correct wedge. I dont know why people dont have these for there motors you will use it one day.

10$ is alot ezer than pulling a front cover after the fact(esp when you didnt loosen the crank pulley bolt)

amazon has the tool.

I had bought 10 of them from Schucks back in the day for 5$ apc and gave them all away.

when you push it down you can feel it slip past the tensioner and lock on. and has a nice pull wire to pull it back out.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

when i removed my head a few months ago i was looking for the dimensions.. then realized i didnt have

any way to cut wood at home. i came across another guy who talked about stuffing a hose (garden hose

or similar) down between the chain. i did that and it worked awesome

Don't cut the timing chain wedge to the dimensions above. It doesn't fit. I tried it....

Ill have to measure mine when I get home. 1.5 inch on top, 1.25" on bottom IIRC....  It fit snug and perfect all the way down. I will have to measure length.

• Like 2

Don't cut the timing chain wedge to the dimensions above. It doesn't fit. I tried it....

Ill have to measure mine when I get home. 1.5 inch on top, 1.25" on bottom IIRC....  It fit snug and perfect all the way down. I will have to measure length.

That would explain why mine didn't work as it should. Would love to see the new specs on the wedge so I can make some! 

This is right out of the FSM.

• 1 year later...