Rear coil overs for a 510!

5dimer

it was half off at the wrecking yards this weekend. i remembered this thread and went out looking for subaru rear shocks. found a realy good kyb from a 87 subaru sedan. paid 25 bucks for them and seems that they will work. i had to drill the bottom hole bigger so they would fit on the 510. check out the pics.

2012-05-05111237.jpg

2012-05-05111307.jpg

2012-05-05111414.jpg

2012-05-05111407.jpg

2012-05-05113019.jpg

2012-05-05113010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they are being held by the two bumps, under the GR-2 sticker and the o-ring on one of the pics, thats the same bump that stops for the lower spring retainer. I like both sets, extra easy to work with, no welding....almost plug and play.

it was half off at the wrecking yards this weekend. i remembered this thread and went out looking for subaru rear shocks. found a realy good kyb from a 87 subaru sedan. paid 25 bucks for them and seems that they will work. i had to drill the bottom hole bigger so they would fit on the 510. check out the pics.

2012-05-05111237.jpg

2012-05-05111307.jpg

2012-05-05111414.jpg

2012-05-05111407.jpg

2012-05-05113019.jpg

2012-05-05113010.jpg

What springs* and coil over sleeves are you using?

they are being held by the two bumps, under the GR-2 sticker and the o-ring on one of the pics, thats the same bump that stops for the lower spring retainer. I like both sets, extra easy to work with, no welding....almost plug and play.

thats not going to hold your coil sleeve for terribly long :unsure:

the sleeves im using are two sizes on one sleeve. one side is 1 7/8 and the other side is 2 1/8. the bigger part of the sleeve goes though the shock but the small part gets stuck on the bumps. springs are 10" long 2.5 i.d. 250 pounds. if you dont have a sleeve like mine you can use the original shock ring with a 2" sleeve.

2012-05-07101748.jpg

2012-05-07101718.jpg

2012-05-07102320.jpg

2012-05-07102328.jpg

• Like 1

gc doesnt make a rear camber plate that i know of..they are for fronts ...... just lowering your dime will give you negative camber.. the lower , the more negative ( unless you slot your xmember) ...... but why would you want to add negative camber? unless you hate traction and tires...... jdm tight yo?

Does anyone know if these will work with ground control camber plates? If eventually wanna do negative camber in the rear.

Actually, the shock/spring, doesn't have anything to do with the camber in the rear of a 510. All that is controlled by the pivot points on the control arm itself. You would need to old school slot it (like mentioned), or add some adjusters to it, to fix the camber issues when riding super low.

Actually, the shock/spring, doesn't have anything to do with the camber in the rear of a 510. All that is controlled by the pivot points on the control arm itself. You would need to old school slot it (like mentioned), or add some adjusters to it, to fix the camber issues when riding super low.

thats what i was saying, but it sounds like he wants to run with negative camber, wear tires out and have no traction :(

• Like 1

read up on penultimate rear crossmember, slotted crossmember, or mad dats adjustable rear...... slotting is easiest.....

The hell it is lol, slotting crossmembers is such a pain in the ass... it's easier to drop $300 on Byron's brackets and weld those on ;) They work better too lol, my rear alignment kept moving during aggressive driving... so I tack welded the washers and 6 months later I found out 2 of those tacks snapped!

I was thinking of going with futofabs rear xmember brackets. i know there is a write up somewhere on here, just cant seem to find it.

Those are Byron's brackets ;) And they come with instructions. I'm doing mine real soon here... I suppose I can snap some pics and whatnot along the way.

The hell it is lol, slotting crossmembers is such a pain in the ass... it's easier to drop $300 on Byron's brackets and weld those on ;) They work better too lol, my rear alignment kept moving during aggressive driving... so I tack welded the washers and 6 months later I found out 2 of those tacks snapped!

what are you using to slot it a file? with the right tools its easy

Oh are they? didnt know that. Let me know how it goes for you! And man do i love pics!

Yup, the camber/toe brackets from FutoFab are indeed Byron’s (why reinvent what works). We purchase multiple bracket kits from Byron and offer them at the same price he sells them for.

They can be ordered on-line at:

http://www.futofab.c...id=22&Itemid=22

PayPal or credit card accepted.

Here are the installation instructions

Link: http://www3.telus.ne...rsports_003.htm

Yup, the camber/toe brackets from FutoFab are indeed Byron’s (why reinvent what works). We purchase multiple bracket kits from Byron and offer them at the same price he sells them for.

They can be ordered on-line at:

http://www.futofab.c...id=22&Itemid=22

PayPal or credit card accepted.

Here are the installation instructions

Link: http://www3.telus.ne...rsports_003.htm

Awesome thanks!

for those that do not weld, it is easier. took me about 3 hours, and thats with taking the entire rear end off the car.. on the car, about half the time.... i "tacked" my washers too..... after 2 years of auto xing, and drag racing, still in the same spot.... i have seen byrons, but i was still trying to figure out what keeps them from moving..... seems the same as slotting, just smoother adjustment, datsport has a lock bolt ......... i am working on my own kit.... but for those with low funds, is why i suggested slotting.......