5dimer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I will have to try this for my 610.

Just a quick question on this subaru struts. The 4WD wagon & sedan & station wagon have 3 different KYB parts number.

So, that i know which one i can ask for if they ask me to be specific.

Went to KYB online just to see the parts number &.....

4wd wagon: 341065

2door sedan & station wagon: 341216

4door sedan: 341063

IDK the difference among the 3.

• 4 weeks later...

i did this swap, it super slammed me, i hate it, i am tucking 1.5" of stock rubber on stock rims,

if you run high offset and barely clear your body or dont clear your body, dont do the setup,

i am now making shock extenders myself to raise the shaft so i can lift the car back up so i

can put my rims back on.... really annoying, i am sure this is a great setup if youre running

little rims with little offset but it will not clean 16x8 0 offset wheels at all so dont try....

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

2012-03-16165123.jpg

Has anyone thought about the heavier load that the top and bottom shock mount must now bear? The usual spring location is in front of the wheel and is accounted for in the design. Normally there is zero load on the shock until there is suspension movement. Now the entire weight of the back of the car is stressing both upper and lower mounts at all times and even more so during a bump.

Has anyone thought about the heavier load that the top and bottom shock mount must now bear? The usual spring location is in front of the wheel and is accounted for in the design. Normally there is zero load on the shock until there is suspension movement. Now the entire weight of the back of the car is stressing both upper and lower mounts at all times and even more so during a bump.

I see your point, but its not like this is the first time this is being done... everyone runs the same style when coilovers are used and Ive never heard of any failure. 

Guess it's ok then.

If I were to do something like major off-roading/rallying in the 510 with something like this, it might be wise to strengthen those areas for the large bumps and drops you would take, but I dont see a normal pothole or speedbump being able to rip through the rear mounts. 

If I were to do something like major off-roading/rallying in the 510 with something like this, it might be wise to strengthen those areas for the large bumps and drops you would take, but I dont see a normal pothole or speedbump being able to rip through the rear mounts. 

To add,  in my near decade of 510 obsession I have only seen or heard of control arm failure when using very heavy springs in the stock location or rally cars using the stock location.

• Like 1

Yeah me too. The stock location is forward of the wheel and this gives it a 3.8 to one mechanical advantage to compress the spring. Spring rates of over 1,100 pounds are common for this. This cracks or breaks the crossmember.  

I will have to try this for my 610.

Just a quick question on this subaru struts. The 4WD wagon & sedan & station wagon have 3 different KYB parts number.

So, that i know which one i can ask for if they ask me to be specific.

Went to KYB online just to see the parts number &.....

4wd wagon: 341065

2door sedan & station wagon: 341216

4door sedan: 341063

IDK the difference among the 3.

I tried to figure out the difference with KYB with no luck, but NAPA also list three PN for the rear on a subaru.

71223SS: Extended - 17.375, Compressed - 11.25, Travel - 6.125

71222SS: Extended - 17.25, Compressed - 11.25, Travel - 6

71268: Extended - 16.75, Compressed - 10.625, Travel - 6.125

71223SS & 71268 both have a note that says w/o air suspension, I'm not sure if that implys that 71222SS is for air suspension but just so you know.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N=599001+101988+50068+27853&Ntt=&Ne=25000&Ntk=Keyword

• 2 weeks later...

i did this swap, it super slammed me, i hate it, i am tucking 1.5" of stock rubber on stock rims,

if you run high offset and barely clear your body or dont clear your body, dont do the setup,

i am now making shock extenders myself to raise the shaft so i can lift the car back up so i

can put my rims back on.... really annoying, i am sure this is a great setup if youre running

little rims with little offset but it will not clean 16x8 0 offset wheels at all so dont try....

I have 0 offset wheels and they fit fine. But the ride height is very low all the way up.

• 1 month later...

I have 0 offset wheels and they fit fine. But the ride height is very low all the way up.

Will i be tucking on this setup?

I'm gonna be running 15x7 +0 all around 280zx struts in the front.

• 2 months later...

2012-03-15124347.jpg

im sure a lot of you 510 owners have done this.

How did you manage to remove/replace the bushing? I have a swivel press that i have used but it wont budge.

I've searched google & youtube fr answers & found a few using drill press & others have using torch to burn the bushings (I dont think i'll be doing this). 

So, what did you use to remove the bushing?

:blink: That shouldn't happen... Definitely don't torch them, gas cartridge+heat= bigger fail! Maybe get a better drill bit or a bigger press?

this is what i'm aiming to get. I have to make a trip to homedepot to see if they have a press for rental.

• 1 month later...