1973 620 - yellow turd

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See I just like the Skyline ones. I like the way JDM Legends did there 620 with the similar mirrors. I just feel the other mirrors stick up or out too much, I dont like the long arms.

1484362_679680315396600_797962268_n.jpg

this 620? pretty sure those are mooneye mirrors. I think there 100 bucks and here awesome reviews on them. I will opt to them sometime because I cant afford 400 mirrors 

So Friday was a fun day to me. Some dude notified me in a parking lot that the JY had some trucks to pick from.

So off I went!

1EBEDF6D-F1BA-4FB7-9A10-A2E3CF5E8B60_zps

This lovely green '75 was ripe for the pickings. Now I only took basic hand tools, started grabbing small bits and soft goods:

Door locks knobs

Window crank + plastic

Climate control knobs

Headlight knob

Uncracked lens covers

Inside door handles

Package tray

0113EC23-2C45-47A5-8AFE-E2247E27C8C6_zps

Sadly the dash was cracked as usual and the cluster bezel was mangled, also the cluster looked light it caught on fire.

99698369-5D25-4361-9F0A-62576712B546_zps

Then started work on dismantling the engine. Just for shits and giggles mostly. 

L18? With a bunch of rusty emissions junk.

DED28CB6-00AE-47E0-A793-CCBAEBCC9511_zps

D7B1AA75-E1DB-4812-A0F3-5D7AEDAE2498_zps

Grabbed a minty thermostat housing

I thought about taking the fan shroud, valve cover, alternator bracket, headlight buckets, fuel pump and starter, but then I was thinking why/when would this stuff ever break? And when it did why wouldn't I buy a new one? Idk I'm also broke and didn't go crazy. So I basically stripped the whole engine down haha.

Sadly the front bumper was bent, grille cracked, headlight chrome rings snapped, tail gate bent and bondo'd. Over all it was kinda "meh"

I did grab the back glass though, I may go back Wednesday and get the rear axel, because mine is welded and wrecking my tires. Idk

Anything else I should grab?

Also picked up a Broadway 300mm blue convex mirror. So much view! Very road!

2053D5D2-BDDC-4A6B-92D5-5CFDE0FED727_zps

Oh I read that once. They were 2wd 80s with 22REs. Any 4x4 truck goes across the lot to the 4x4 wrecker, which I've never seen a Toyota there. 

I didnt know the diffs all swap? Or am I grabbing the whole rear axel? Because I was just talking with Mike or someone that I like having a welded diff for the traction, especially in the snow. But the shuddering and bald tires can kindly fuck off.

Oh, haha then why were you showing me shorter ones? Was that for the 521? 

Until I am 100% motivated to do something I lack interest and knowledge of the subject at hand. Take for example I now know all about the wiring in the bay and how the dual points, distribution relay, heater relay work if this were a stock truck and if they were installed :p I only know 50% of a ball-joint swap and 20% about c-notching my frame.

• 2 weeks later...

DOOR CARDS!

Clean door is clean

A5FBD77B-16D2-42AD-A7CB-39E05C5E6755_zps

Raw aluminum

A0E3E545-D530-436B-9B3E-603B2C57B91B_zps

The goods

115366A9-D45D-4F11-A5FC-04597405400C_zps

Pick a hole, anyhole

C8BEB3DC-9A66-4915-A21F-5C6780885595_zps

And finished product, passenger side, driver side

A88E33ED-51FB-4226-8513-9F58DC014673_zps

91C2EE59-15AD-40D0-BF58-72390E232013_zps

3B035F60-053E-454F-AD07-3232641854A9_zps

Right now I gave them a basic "brushed" look. But there is quite a bit of surface corrosion and some deeper gouges. I will probably paint them black and if I do I have another idea to make them stand out.

The cards need to be curved a bit more to fit the contour of the door better.

Armrest or not? Thats what I am thinking of now. I like the look, however closing the door is kinda hard. Mind you I never roll up the windows in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT job Chris.!!

just paint them .... problem solved. 

Z chopper, on 12 Mar 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

plastic mirror bodies and bases will get brittle in the sun unless it is a special UV plastic which would up the price of those (I have seen those on ebay)

GREAT job Chris.!!

just paint them .... problem solved. 

think this was in reference to the mirrors

Dont wanna paint them till I fix the seat belts, 'cause right now they rub and would scratch on the doors and wreck whatever paint I put on them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I hit up the JY and the old green truck was still there. Someone took the block and head.

I grabbed the original 3-point seat belts, some headlamp hardware, the L plugs for the fuse block and some other bits.

There was a Land Rover Discovery in the yard, the rear axel was still in it. I wonder how easy that would swap in??

Quite a few Toyota PUs and 4Runners for rear axels too.

Spray bombed the inside of the bed. It had a very worn chipped spray on bed-liner. I used a semi gloss black wheel paint by PlastiKote funny thing was when looking at the old can to buy some more the product # is 620!!

Lastly I noticed the engine is starting to over heat, and it's not even summer. The culprit has been low coolant. I was down about a half jug. I noticed the overflow hose has been dripping a lot and there were a few pools under it. I bought a new rad cap and hope that fixes the problems??

How bad can things get when an L16 overheats? Burnt valves? Head gasket issues? It sat on the upper mark for a bit before I realized what was happening. :(