1973 620 - yellow turd

Well as some of you may know I was sniffing around for some info about a former members truck on here. I went to Seattle this week and ended up buying it, it being a 1973 620.

Sorry I lost a lot of my images so a bunch of the later pages are without pictures. I would like to be more current with my updates. But there is still some good reading in here, I think?

Skip to the good stuff!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like flickr too, doesn't reduce the picture size like pb

Yeah, one of my favorite features. I like that I can load up a full sized image and Flickr will leave it alone if I ever need it that size. But it also gives you the options of selecting a different sized one if you need it. Some forums only allow certain size images so it makes it nice.

Edit: Though I will admit that I used Flickr Pro due to the amount of images I produce. Being a graphic and interactive designer as well as a photographer, you go through a lot of pictures.

Bought a Haynes manual and tore off my grille

Ok so known issues thus far:

Driver high beam out - parts on order
Speedo cable was unplugged @ dash, however re attached did not make speedo work - Ideas? If anyone can take a close up of the ends that would help. Mine just looked like the end of a cable, no 'teeth' or gears to spin stuff.
Damaged tranny boot - parts on order
Damaged shifter boot - parts on order
Hood bumpers coroded - parts on order
Dome lamp mangled - parts on order
Seat back broken @ weld on driver side -
Ignition sloppy, no ACC -
Wiper fluid motor does not work/squirter jets bent to shit -
Driver seatbelt fraying -
Diff welded -
Front bull bar not mounted, tack-welds broke off, feels like there are mounting holes into frame. can anyone back me up?
Sitting on bumpstops - will order slim stops from Summit in due time
Hole in exhaust, exhaust flatten/dented @ cross member. Is there any other way to route exhaust?
'Clunk' in front driver when braking
Excessive brake travel
Poor heat and blower fan only works on 'High'
No horn, worst instal of aftermarket whell ever. Can someone take a picture of a stock, legit, turn signal switch so that I can fix this issue?

Meh, its Friday for me tomorrow, then the work begins

Ok so known issues thus far:

Driver high beam out - parts on order

Speedo cable was unplugged @ dash, however re attached did not make speedo work - Ideas? If anyone can take a close up of the ends that would help. Mine just looked like the end of a cable, no 'teeth' or gears to spin stuff.

Damaged tranny boot - parts on order

Damaged shifter boot - parts on order

Hood bumpers coroded - parts on order

Dome lamp mangled - parts on order

Seat back broken @ weld on driver side -

Ignition sloppy, no ACC -

Wiper fluid motor does not work/squirter jets bent to shit -

Driver seatbelt fraying -

Diff welded -

Front bull bar not mounted, tack-welds broke off, feels like there are mounting holes into frame. can anyone back me up?

Sitting on bumpstops - will order slim stops from Summit in due time

Hole in exhaust, exhaust flatten/dented @ cross member. Is there any other way to route exhaust?

'Clunk' in front driver when braking

Excessive brake travel

Poor heat and blower fan only works on 'High'

No horn, worst instal of aftermarket whell ever. Can someone take a picture of a stock, legit, turn signal switch so that I can fix this issue?

Meh, its Friday for me tomorrow, then the work begins

Doesnt sound like anything major. My only concerns would be the clunking brakes, welded diff, and loose front guard. And I only bring those up because they could be unsafe. Hopefully the clunking doesnt lead to failing brakes, if you dont know what youre doing that welded diff could give you trouble, and fingers-crossed that the bull bar doesnt fall off in the middle of you driving. Nothing sounds crazy though so you should be ok. Not including shipping time, most of thes problems are quick fixes I would bet. Cant wait to see the actual mods for this. I dont like trucks often (especially Datsuns to be honest... sorry guys), but I like this one. Mos def my style.

My braked use to clunk (front) so I pulled my drums and idk if it was the cause but there was lots of brake dust. So I took the air hose blew them out and they haven't clunked since.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind!.

The clunk is a once or twice thing. I am all about safety on this thing and will have that looked at asap. As for the bull bar it sits on the faux air dam, and pushes up on the frame. I actually tried to take it off but its in there. Now the the diff, I am not too stoked on that, anyone have a pumpkin handy? lol

Looking for a picture of 620 heater core hoses, inside the truck to the heater/through the firewall inside & out/and then again on the block. I have the 90 deg kinked hose on the right front of the engine.

I should have bought that truck for myself the first time I seen it on Craigslist. Greg was looking for on tho so I took him to pick it up from some old hippy in Tacoma. It was all stock. There is a thread on here somewhere & I posted pics. A lot of my 620 parts went onto that truck. He sold it to some kid who then sold it to the guy you bought it from. Hes the fucking moron that welded the rear dif :huh:

Cool truck. I really like the rims (used to be mine :( )

I should have bought that truck for myself the first time I seen it on Craigslist. Greg was looking for on tho so I took him to pick it up from some old hippy in Tacoma. It was all stock. There is a thread on here somewhere & I posted pics. A lot of my 620 parts went onto that truck. He sold it to some kid who then sold it to the guy you bought it from. Hes the fucking moron that welded the rear dif :huh:

Cool truck. I really like the rims (used to be mine :( )

The kid I bought it off of was not the best... little upsetting. Ill make sure to take care of this truck, through and though. Can you help explain some things I have noticed, like the electric choke? I can only assume. And the air whailer siren wired to a red toggle switch on the dash? Who added the bull bar, and didnt weld that to the frame right? I was the only who was asking questions about it. I PM'd you for Gregs number. We met, he was real nice. The more I know about the truck the easier it makes my day, know what I mean?

Z Chopper, I am indeed in Vancouver!!

tristinGrind, I'll check that, is that kinked line part of the heating? Its hard getting a good picture or diagram of all the hoses. What do you guys do when you pop a hose? Take it in and match it with stock I guess?