Steering wheel hub compatibility

So I've been looking for a steering wheel adapter hub (for my 71' 510) with a six hole type after market wheel pattern (nardi, sparco, momo) with limited success. I've found the Boss hubs on eBay but not only am I dubious about ordering parts from south Asia but I would much rather buy from someone in the states. That being said, I've been looking for alternate applications that have the same shaft and spline count and can be adapted to fit. I know that one major difference between models is blinker cancel pin locations but that shouldn’t be too tough to get around so long as the shaft splines are the same.

In my search, I came a crossed an NRG short adapter that lists not only the 510 but also all of these in their application chart (this is for one hub)...

Datsun 510 (All), 610 (All), 810 (All);

Nissan 200SX (All), 240SX* 89-97, 260Z/280Z (All), 300ZX* 90+, Altima 93+, Maxima 89-98, Pulsar 87-90, Sentra 91-96, Hardbody Pickup (All), Trucks 86+

This leads me to believe that potentially other brands and types of hubs should fit as well but from what I can see, their application charts don’t reflect this. My question and topic of discussion is based on your experience with this and if anyone has the ability to check similarity in steering shaft diameter and spline counts between the above list of datsun/nissan models especially that of the 240sx as there seems to be lots of options for that model in particular.

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that ST was for sport truck. These trucks had a ST logo on the side of the bed, the steering wheel in question, and i think that they got a couple of other interior options too.

Here is a pic of a ST wheel. Also, if you find one in the JY, you wil probably need to take the wheel and the adapter to get it home. The factory put Loctite on the threads of the six little bolts of the wheel. And i have yet to get one to come out without heat. So, here is the trick.

Take wheel/hub home and then remove the two screws that hold the plastic outer cover on(they are near the turn signal cancelling pins. Now that the plastic is gone you can use a small propane torch to warm up the aluminum hub. Once it is warm, the Loctite releases, and then the bolts come out much easier.

steeringwheelgrant.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen several in the last couple of years in the tigars/sherwood pick-n-pull. I left them all there though, only because the wheel was trashed on all of them. If the wheel is decent i would buy it. The hardest part of the ST wheel to find is actually the horn button.

Maybe someday i will be able to buy a nice Nardi for mine.

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

I think all 70s Datsuns will. I put a '79-'83 280zx on a 720 column so maybe into the mid '80s. Previous this same wheel was on a 620 and it's now on my 710. I did find a nice '90s Sentra/Altima something (maybe late '80s didn't care to look) and took it home and it was way smaller. Big changes at '86.5 for the S12 200sx the 720 ended and D21 started. All 71B 5 speeds stopped and the 71C started..... maybe the steering wheel hubs changed too I just don't know.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I have a steering wheel hub for a '89 240sx, it doesn't quite look like it will fit on the 521 spline, the 521 looks too big (but only just barely). I didn't have the socket to remove the 521's center nut on the steering wheel to check handy. Anyone ever find out if it will actually fit?