"Lola" the 620 (now with moar oics!)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only ones I havent added yet are of me new "garage" which is a carport thats been used for garbage storage for a while..

I also added some pics that were not posted before due to being lazy, so i guess you'll have to start from page 1 all over again ;)

THANKS for fixing the pics!!!

love the truck.... a couple of questions

Is it a 78 or 79.?

Do your front tires rub on the fenders when the suspension is compressed.? My tires stick out about the same as yours in this pic & in order to get that low & lower I had to pull the fenders .... but I do have A LOT of suspension travel. 

IMG_20140106_145228_zpsmk2l0akf.jpg

mine.... before pulling fenders

IMG_00546.jpg

Its a 78'

I haven't had any major rubbing issues yet, I did however get a small gouge in my tire from a piece of the fender the had somehow curled down and cut into it while I was reversing into the driveway and turning... since It snags the muffler if I back in straight.

I even packed the whole bed up with everything I own and drove it all the way down to SanDiego from Seattle with almost no rubbage at all. I'm running all kyb gas-adjust shocks front and rear. I took the bottom helper spring and stacked it on top of the leafs, didnt flip them and I really like the way the rear end feels. I can get a budy and I on the rear and and bounce in sync and were pretty amazed how stiff it is for a old truck

Psh, who needs hot water...

Every time I see your truck I want to kick the person who painted my truck. Covered perfectly good orange with shitty house paint put on with brushes and rollers...

So, did you ever decide which route you are going for the engine?

I'm torn.

I really want the oem+ look of the franken z build with the dual side drafts, but at the same time I know I wont be able to make the power I would get from an sr swap

so Its still kind of up in the air

but I'm leaning towards the sr20det if I can get the bay to look ridiculously clean

a CA18DET is also in the running

I think this would be my best choice, It would be a minor weight gain compared to the L20, lighter than the sr20 for sure. And I havent seen a whole lot of 620's with a built CA18DET stuffed in them

• Like 1

I would throw both of those out and go with either a KA or VG personally if I were to do a swap. IMO the purpose of having a truck is the torque and potential hauling power. My truck is slammed and isn't hauling anything, but it doesn't make sense imo to go to a smaller displacement engine that is more difficult to source parts for, cost more, and unless you're rich, will make similar power as a KA with the rest of the swap cost put into bolt ons. To each their own though.

The engine I am building should put down a good bit of power. According to other people who have built similar engines, with a proper cam and tuning this build can achieve 200hp NA. I plan on running a supercharger and am only shooting at the 160whp mark because at 2.2L I should have plenty of torque and HP is an overrated number. Again, this is all my personal opinion. SRs look good and make for pretty magazine pics, but I'd take off the line torque over high end HP any day.

I dont really plan on using the truck for hauling much, Its more being built towards autocross days and maybe a hill climb event or even some drifty days. My goal for power was to be about the 250whp mark at a minimum. I would REAAAALLY like to be in the 400+ range. The truck is more for a fun factor and ridiculous power for a quick freeway pull here and there to scare the crap out of passangers. I am used to driving cars with high hp numbers and it just seems like the better and cheaper route to go. weight was also a factor with the build. With a transmission, the VG weighs close to 550-560lbs or something wich is about 10-15lbs less than a small block swap.

I guess the KA would be an option, but it seems like a lot of people go that route. I chose a Datsun to be different, and in a sea of Datsun owners, I want it to be even more different I guess

mom told me I was "special"

For autocross I would still suggest the KA over the SR. The CA is left out not because it's a bad engine, but the power band is lower than both of the other choices and therefore would require more to compete. The reasons are the same as I stated above.

Torque is your friend for autocross and you want torque across a wide rpm band. KA-T will get you into the 300-400hp range, but honestly you won't hit that on the track. You want torque and the ability to get that torque to the ground effectively without breaking anything between.

A huge factor to consider is how often will you be competing? If you compete a lot, chances are you will wear/break more parts. Depending on the part that breaks, the SR will most likely have your truck down for longer periods of time due to sourcing and shipping. Also remember, SRs are for rich kids. Most 240sxs in the US want or has a SR. Not to mention there is al ready a competing and well documented 620 with a SR.

Not trying to be a prick, just want to share all the options and issues that I see. SRs are very expensive when done correctly and would hate to see this 620 torn to pieces because the price and headache win out.

No prick-ness in that anywhere, I always appreciate good critisizm. like I said, I dont really know what route to take. Iam originally a vw/audi guy so the majority of my knowledge is german car based. For example, my dream build would be the inline 5 20v turbo out of my urs4 that I had crammed into the 620. but the cost for that to happen would make a 600hp built sr cheaper

• Like 1

here are the deciding factors:

weight

cost of parts

aftermarket support

power

whatever I plan on building will be a ground zero build, new nuts n bolts, new gaskets, rods and pistons, new valvetrain, intake manifold and exhaust manifold will be made locally or aftermarket, everything will be machined, I can do my own port matching and assembly.

KA

SR

CA

maybe someone should make a poll for me and have people vote which route to go

:) not me.!! but the wife & kids sure would bitch about it :)

SR will win in a poll most likely. IMO just the fact you put "cost" in the equation automatically excludes an SR.

The KA & CA can easily be serviced with parts from any autoparts supply house coast to coast, with the KA barely edging out the CA on said availability, the SR, not so much. THAT alone makes the SR more costly in the long run.

here are the deciding factors:

weight

cost of parts

aftermarket support

power

I vote KA. I know its not gonna be different because its becoming more of a "average swap" these days but people do it for a reason.  if you wanna auto cross or hill climb the KA has the torque.  if you want to be different then boost it.  10 pounds on a KA would be crazy on power, weight isn't bad,  and cost is uber cheap.  but all in all, do what you wanna do.  its your truck so if you like it that's all that matters!  either way the truck is way bitchin :thumbup:  :rofl:  

Dude if youre building it go KA. Way more power potential than SR. And to top it of, tomie is doing research on them, for all the brand name people. Stronger block. More displacement, the only thing that sucks on that engine it the head to manifold design.

Every time I see your truck I want to kick the person who painted my truck. Covered perfectly good orange with shitty house paint put on with brushes and rollers...

So, did you ever decide which route you are going for the engine?

dont feel bad. the bed was rattle canned with some ungodly flourescent orange that doesnt match. I just happen to take pictures that dont elude to that

430953_10150788064943356_502733355_12706

notice how the bed doesn't match the cab

it was even more noticeable when I buffed it out\

and the original paint was underneath those ungodly stainless side protector bump strips... so it just makes the whole thing look worse..

Paint and body will be the next big project after I get her running again.... the motor can wait. Its only got 136k on the odometer and everything under the hood has been replaced... in fact here is a list of everything ive done in the year and a half/2 years ive owned her:

starter (4 times), alternator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, slave cylinder, coil, points to electro dizzy, belts, full de-smog (currently pricing oil catch cans), all fuel lines (including my nifty fuel rail upgrade), fuel filter, full hot tank/clean and rebuild on the hitatchi, left and right lower and upper ball joints, left and right tie rods, idler arm, steering box is going to get a rebuild, brakes are Ferodo ceramic metallic, shift bushings, a-arm bushings upper and lower, 15x8 chevvy rallye wheels on bf-goodrich g-force 205/55/15 tires, rear half of the frame resto and etch/repaint/undercoated, fuel cell (whoohoo!!), ignition switch, door panels, re-foamed seat, kyb gas-adjust shocks on all 4 corners, torsions carnked down, leaf re-stack, 2inch lowering blocks, valve cover gasket (with awesome paint job in magpul FDE), debadged grill and repainted.

I think thats it.