My 71 521

J Taylor

I picked up this 521 last year locally off of craigslist. Had been sitting in someones back yard for a while....didn't run and some of the brakes were locked up. I've been into Datsuns/Nissans for years and when I saw this I just had to have it. Since then I've got it running pretty well, put disc brakes all around, aluminum Fiero radiator, hardbody bench seat, lowered 2 inches, and put on a set of newer chevy truck 17" steel wheels. It's a neat little truck.....haven't seen any others in town yet. I'll try to update after I make more progress with it.

A few before pics.....

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

And how it looks now...

datsun521.jpg

datsun5212.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The seat was really easy to put in. I drilled the spot welds and removed the original brackets from the floor. I also removed the front "feet" from the hardbody seat and bolted a small section of 1.5" square tubing in place. Put the seat in and welded the tubing to the floor. The rear "feet" sat flat on the floor so I just drilled a couple of holes and through bolted them. It sits just a little lower than the stock seat and is a great fit. Plus it has the cutout in the center like alot of toyotas which is nice in case I need the room when I put a 5 speed in it. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance. It's blue so it doesn't match the truck at all but it's all I could find at the u-pull it yard and is way better than the factory seat that I pulled out. I'll either get it recovered or replace it when I come across a black or grey seat.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics of the hardbody seat. May not be the best way to mount it but it was easy and seems to work pretty well. Excuse the dirt.....haven't taken the time to give it a cleaning yet. lol

2012-03-11115147.jpg

2012-03-11114848.jpg

2012-03-11114848.jpg

2012-03-11114747.jpg

2012-03-11114735.jpg

200sx internally regulated alternator

2012-03-11115047.jpg

Removed the old purple window tint

2012-03-11115345.jpg

2012-03-11114933.jpg

Also put a 620 electronic distributor in it which made a huge difference. Really happy with how it's coming along so far.

Lookin' real clean!! The paint on my Z looked like that when I bought it. Bought some high grade wax/polish and it buffed to a sweet shine! It' does need a fresh coat a couple times a year to keep the shine, though. the old paint soaks that moisture right up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...