Replace Bed and other body parts?

KhausticMess

Sorry guys, I need info on 720 Kingcab truck beds. Spent a couple hours checking various forums and can't seem to find the right stuff. My bed is in pretty terrible shape and if i can manage to find a replacement instead of attempting to spot fix it that would be awesome.

When did the 720 Kingcab get a double wall bed ? I remember reading that it did at some point but can't find this info.

Is the Kingcab bed different from the standard truck beds short/long? I remember reading it was and again can't seem to find where I saw this at.

was the single wall bed the only one with this style of tie downs ? Ideally I would love to learn that the double wall existed with this style.

380495_2836625168487_1644974601_2554005_906909766_n1.jpg

thanks in advance for any help. If you know info that I didn't think to ask that would be useful it would also be appreciated.

ADDED THIS PART AT A LATER DATE.

curious about additional info for what matches a kingcab front end body panels etc ? do the same rules apply as for the bed ? obviously the cabin only matches a kingcab ?

thanks in advance looking to replace driver side front panel but curious about what years/meodels will work.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 720 kingcab boxes have the same dementions, from 1980 till 1986, the non-hooked/double wall type box started in 1985 I beleave, and continued till the end of the 720 run, all will fit each other.

I will say this again, the kingcab boxes will fit kingcab trucks only, they are all the same threw all the years, none of the other versions will fit a kingcab truck, just kingcab boxes.

Now the rest of the 720 series boxes depend on what year they are, nissan extended the cab in the standard cab versions in 1984ish about 3 inches, so before 1984, the long and short boxes are longer, and after 1984 they are shorter, so a 1982 long box or short box, from a reg. cab, will not fit a 1985 reg. cab long or short box truck.

• Like 1

2 more washington peeps right there, holy crap, never knew there were that many.

yes, KC beds are different from SC beds. but the KC bed has the same mounts and lengths througout, IIRC

There are 3 styles of beds (in addition to 3 sizes).

80-82: Single wall, taillights at the bottom

83-84: Still use the external hooks and seamed bed, but taillights moved to the corners. Reverse lights still below the tailgate. Some, if not all, have inner panels for sort of a double-wall (the panels are removeable, held in with screws).

85-86: Totally different bed. No side seam, no outer lip, different tailgate, different taillights. No amber rear turn signals and reverse lights move into the taillight housing. Full double-wall.

If I understand correctly the double wall bed is straight no flange and no tie downs so I plan to keep a single wall bed, finding one clean enough to buy will probably be hard around here. My bed looked really clean when I first bought the truck but after cleaning it to remove random crap that was growing on the truck I found a spot where it had rusted through completely, and the lower portion of the bed seems to be in just as bad of condition. Kinda irritating considering what I've been told it will take to clean the bed up. I have access to all the necessary tools but feel it will take less effort and more importantly money to find a replacement.

ADDED THIS TO INITIAL POST.

curious about additional info for what matches a kingcab front end body panels etc ? do the same rules apply as for the bed ? obviously the cabin only matches a kingcab ?

thanks in advance looking to replace driver side front panel but curious about what years/meodels will work.

• 8 months later...

I know this is a dead post but go with the 83-84 bed, the boat mooring tie tie-downs on the outside kick ass! I know the later model "flows better", but I love the look of the rolled out edge with hooks. If I ever have to redo mine that's what I'll do, just to get the double-wall bed but retain the look. I rhino lined my bed up and over the bed rail on the outside to match my black paint body line and I think it looks titties! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I read this thread looking for advice about kc bed switch ability- and I found it. Also, I felt kind of sheepish about swapping out an 84 single wall kc bed for a 85 kc smooth side bed- until now! I gave always liked the hook side beds myself and I look forward to swapping one onto my daily driver kc. 

Any tips of removing / replacing a bed? Is it a big job?

• 4 years later...

Reviving an old thread here but I am running out of options and have had no luck finding a box to fit the 84 kingcab that my daughter and I are rebuilding.  Does anyone have any leads on where a person could get a decent one or buy new panels?  I must say I have been having fun with her and am proud of her for getting dirty with dad while learning about her truck.

Why not consider a wooden flatbed? Cedar beams underneath and fir planks on top and for the front headache rack. Drill and secure with carriage bolts. Sides can be 2/3 along the length and be removable. Cedar wood stain.... Baer #501 Cedar Naturaltone at Home Hardware. A nice caramel or tobacco color. 

Doesn't dent or rust. Comes apart, easy to fix.

I have tried talking my daughter into that but she would prefer a box, right now the best option I have is cutting a 620 short box and adapting it to fit.  But that is more work than I truly want for that part of the truck.  I have found Hardbody boxes but even the king cab versions require a bit of work to make them fit ... if you can find one without cancer. 

Good luck, you will have better luck finding one from an 85 or early 86. They didn't rust quite as bad. I just sold one of my spare 85 model beds to a guy who had an 84 model. He drove 7 hours with no bed on his truck, lights were zip tied to his bumper, and we installed the bed at my house and he drove home. 🙂

Edited by powderfinger

I wish I could find one that close ... or one at all.  Your a little too far away at the moment, even if you had another spare, as I am not up for a 38 hour drive each way and I am not sure the border is open anyway.  I have a feeling that I have some hard persuading do do in order for a nice flat deck to get built and installed.

The seams between the box and the skirts on these beds were a major source of cancer, so unless its a California/Arizona truck, you are almost guaranteed to have serious rust, and the price on a clean box might be astronomical. If you are willing to modify a different truck bed, what is the reason to not just repair the bed you have?

I've linked a couple videos below for a youtube channel called Fitzee's Fabrications.  He does very impressive body work with extremely basic tools.  The videos I've linked are him hand building panels to rebuild a 620 bed and they might provide you with some inspiration to fix yours yourselves.  I'm a huge fan of this guys work and his channel.  I've learned quite a bit from him.

Building bed sides

Repairing bed floor

• Like 1