Bench seat in a 520 vs buckets

billair

Hey all, I have been looking for a bench seat for my 67 520. P.O put buckets in it and I want a bench. The P.O also put a l18 with a 5 speed, I don't know what kind of tranny it is but it's a 5 speed. My question is, does the location of the shifter change with 5 speed, if I go through the expense of getting a bench shipped to me am I gonna find when I put it in 5th it barely goes in because the bench gets in the way.

Or am I just wasting form space here?

I did find a bench but now it's owner wants more money for it so I'm questioning my needs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To ID the transmission tell us what shift pattern you have.

1-3-5

2-4-R

Standard pattern 620/280z 5 speed. Shifter is 2-3" further to the rear.

R-2-4

1-3-5

Dogleg 5 speed from 200sx. Shift lever is almost the same position

Not sure if the 620 bench will fit the 521 but they have a notch in them for the shifter.

I just got threw putting a L20b/longshaft 5 speed into my 66 datsun 520, actually I dropped the 520 cab onto a 720 frame, but the engine/transmission would basicly be in the same place, I put the bench seat in the truck before quiting for the evening, this is how close the shifter is to the seat, it's like it was made to fit, the tranny is in reverse in these photos.

DSCN0893-1.jpg

DSCN0892-1.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

• Like 1

To ID the transmission tell us what shift pattern you have.

1-3-5

2-4-R

Standard pattern 620/280z 5 speed. Shifter is 2-3" further to the rear.

R-2-4

1-3-5

Not sure if the 620 bench will fit the 521 but they have a notch in them for the shifter.

It is this one

R-2-4

1-3-5

so a bench should be fine

I am not driving it or even have it at my house, I am going it tomorrow though

Thanks

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got threw putting a L20b/longshaft 5 speed into my 66 datsun 520, actually I dropped the 520 cab onto a 720 frame, but the engine/transmission would basicly be in the same place, I put the bench seat in the truck before quiting for the evening, this is how close the shifter is to the seat, it's like it was made to fit, the tranny is in reverse in these photos.

DSCN0893-1.jpg

DSCN0892-1.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

So is the body mounted to the stock front body mounts?

In my truck I have the 521 body mounted to the 720 chassis off of the front mounts near the core support(like you told me to do), and the long tail SD22 71B transmissison is bolted to the stock transmission crossmember for the 720.

I'm just worried about the shifter clearing the 521 bench seat that I have reupholstered (not cheap)and is better than new.

If its as close as your picture I'm not going to worry about putting the short tail transmission in the SD22 bellhousing and just play with my pile of shifters until I have one that fits well.

So is the body mounted to the stock front body mounts?

In my truck I have the 521 body mounted to the 720 chassis off of the front mounts near the core support(like you told me to do), and the long tail SD22 71B transmissison is bolted to the stock transmission crossmember for the 720.

I'm just worried about the shifter clearing the 521 bench seat that I have reupholstered (not cheap)and is better than new.

If its as close as your picture I'm not going to worry about putting the short tail transmission in the SD22 bellhousing and just play with my pile of shifters until I have one that fits well.

This is a 520 truck, the front core support is in a differant place, but my 521KC diesel uses the front 521/720 core support holes, I used the rear holes on the 720 frame to mount the 520 cab, basicly putting the 520 cab into the same position that a 521 cab would be.

Here is a photo of the frame front core support, the front bigger hole is the one I use to mount a 521 cab, the smaller rear hole is the one I use to mount a 520 cab.

DSCN1595.jpg

Them photos are of the 520 seat as far back as it will go, and that truck has a longshaft 5 speed in it, with the shifter in reverse.

This is a kingcab truck that I intend to use bucket seats in, I planned to use the longshaft to get the shifter back as I have to lean forward in the 521 kingcab to get it in 1st, 3rd, and 5th as the seats are so far back and it has a shortshaft in it.

If you are not going to move the seat forward, you will likely be able to find or make a transmission shifter that will work, but that isn't going to help you with the nissan transfer case shift lever unless you have figured something else out for that.

One fact that I have not talked about is that I have that 520 cab as far back as I could get it, as the valve cover is real close to the firewall, I don't know your 521/SD22 firewall clearance situation, as your cab likely sits higher on the frame than mine does.

I use the front core support mount holes to center/mount my 521 cabs because it centers the front wheels in the front fender wells, but since your truck is so high, and the front axle is a custom mount, you can move things around to suit your needs, the farther back you move the cab, the more clearance you will create for your shifter and firewall/engine, and this will make it a lot easier to route your heater hoses.

I also don't remember if you have opened up the engine compartment by moving the radiator support forward any, as there isn't a lot of room in there with the SD22/25 engine installed, I used a 521 radiator with the outlets changed to work with the SD22/25 engine, I trimmed the stock fan blades, and they are less than a half inch from hitting the upper radiator reservoir.

Everything depends on how you mounted the cab, the closer to the firewall the engine is, the more problems you will have with the shifter and heater core hose routing.

This is a 520 truck, the front core support is in a differant place, but my 521KC diesel uses the front 521/720 core support holes, I used the rear holes on the 720 frame to mount the 520 cab, basicly putting the 520 cab into the same position that a 521 cab would be.

Here is a photo of the frame front core support, the front bigger hole is the one I use to mount a 521 cab, the smaller rear hole is the one I use to mount a 520 cab.

DSCN1595.jpg

Them photos are of the 520 seat as far back as it will go, and that truck has a longshaft 5 speed in it, with the shifter in reverse.

This is a kingcab truck that I intend to use bucket seats in, I planned to use the longshaft to get the shifter back as I have to lean forward in the 521 kingcab to get it in 1st, 3rd, and 5th as the seats are so far back and it has a shortshaft in it.

If you are not going to move the seat forward, you will likely be able to find or make a transmission shifter that will work, but that isn't going to help you with the nissan transfer case shift lever unless you have figured something else out for that.

One fact that I have not talked about is that I have that 520 cab as far back as I could get it, as the valve cover is real close to the firewall, I don't know your 521/SD22 firewall clearance situation, as your cab likely sits higher on the frame than mine does.

I use the front core support mount holes to center/mount my 521 cabs because it centers the front wheels in the front fender wells, but since your truck is so high, and the front axle is a custom mount, you can move things around to suit your needs, the farther back you move the cab, the more clearance you will create for your shifter and firewall/engine, and this will make it a lot easier to route your heater hoses.

I also don't remember if you have opened up the engine compartment by moving the radiator support forward any, as there isn't a lot of room in there with the SD22/25 engine installed, I used a 521 radiator with the outlets changed to work with the SD22/25 engine, I trimmed the stock fan blades, and they are less than a half inch from hitting the upper radiator reservoir.

Everything depends on how you mounted the cab, the closer to the firewall the engine is, the more problems you will have with the shifter and heater core hose routing.

Wayno, i put the core support bolts in the 720 mount holes, and the sd22 is basically in the stock location (stock trans mount) but with custom engine mounts. The engine is very close to the firewall, about half An inch off.

I am using a Honda racing 3 core aluminum radiator with an electric fan on the core support and it is less than an inch off of the water pump.