The Blue gO_On build?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popped out the side ones and rinsed out the block today, the plugs were not rusty. Always good to change while its out but they were good. The Brass will look nice.

IMAG4269.jpg

Twisted the dip stick tubes, they will come out easy. Check ebay Derek maybe a brand new one.. B)

IMAG4270.jpg

Don't worry Derek there is one more plug behind the Flywheel I will let you do along with the rear seal. Then paint the back plate....going to look nice. :geek:

Freeze Plugs in!....waiting on Gaskets, clutch hose and foot pedals... :frantics:

Plus we get the added fun of doing this outside.. :baby: It should be installed in the next two weeks.

IMAG4303.jpg

Oil filter from my Volvo jumped in for a photo opp.....And we got the intake/exhaust gasket surface all cleaned up also.

IMAG4300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done once it stopped raining.

Capping off the old dip stick hole...

IMAG4384.jpg

Will try and find a hex....set screw to fit in flush.

IMAG4385.jpg

Front cover off....we decided to pull the head.

IMAG4387.jpg

IMAG4394.jpg

Bam! Broke a Head bolt, while removing...2nd to last one....I did warn Derek this could happen.

IMAG4404.jpg

But it came out easy... B)

IMAG4416.jpg

Head gasket was iffy in a few spots...Cyl.#l1 & 4

IMAG4400.jpg

So taking the head off was a good thing.

IMAG4407.jpg

Derek was like WTF!!! Lets just get these wheels on!!!

IMAG4412.jpg

IMAG4417.jpg

n

n

Nice build! Don't know if you've researched this yet, but I went thru it with my 71 4dr auto-to-manual swap. Here's a quick re-wire for to bypass the auto nuetral safety switch, and how to wire up the reverse lights.............

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/45721-510-auto-to-manual-reverse-lights/

• Like 1

Nice build! Don't know if you've researched this yet, but I went thru it with my 71 4dr auto-to-manual swap. Here's a quick re-wire for to bypass the auto nuetral safety switch, and how to wire up the reverse lights.............

http://community.rat...reverse-lights/

Yep,got that covered. Thanks man!

since you got the motor all the way apart mostly you can take the wood timmin chain wedge out and replace the tension ect and slack side guide(at least those 2 things.)

lookong at the photo above it that tension can be pushed in alot more by adjust the slack side guide so it pushes the tensioner in more.

watch this ,also on youtube

PS is that a truck oil pan cause it dont look like a 510 oil pan that needs to be on there.

rememeber to prime the oil pump

PS I like this wagoon!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Waiting to use his L16 pan & pickup tube when we pull the motor... B)

I had to mark the chain,,,,so I left the wedge in (Good eye on the guides) I will make sure its all snug before I close it up.

We hope to put this in this weekend.....need to roll over to a friends house to get the Weber 32/36.

http://community.rat...reverse-lights/

Between me (who posted that fix for ya!) and H5wagon, we have him covered, as he is local to both of us.

Also a big thumbs up to Wayno for the head bolts!

Derek is learning meaning of a direct swap....its all the little things. ;)

L20b is not a direct swap. L18 is. Also the auto to manual at the exact same time throws a few wrenches in.