Project 5Teeezy.........A Pharaoh's 510.....

Busta Nut

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also did a bunch of test fitting this weekend to see how things are gonna go together......

I wanted to use these wheels cause I love how they look on a Dime......but I would need at least 1" spacer up front....if  not more.............mer :(

IMG_3633_zps898b3dbc.jpg

IMG_3637_zpsc99bd271.jpg

I also have a set of stock wheel.....which I probably won't pick.

...a set of knock off Panasports that came with the car....They were painted black and I like the polished look so it would take time and money to get those on.

I also had the option of running the  wheels from the Loogie........but I'm not really going for that kind of look.

So I picked these...........

IMG_3630_zps1c1815f4.jpg

IMG_3631_zps46d49b5c.jpg

.....these are Skyblue's and have been in my storage for close to as long as I've owned 5Teezy.....so.......it's time to put them to use!!

Also did a bunch of test fitting this weekend to see how things are gonna go together......

I wanted to use these wheels cause I love how they look on a Dime......but I would need at least 1" spacer up front....if  not more.............mer :(

IMG_3633_zps898b3dbc.jpg

IMG_3637_zpsc99bd271.jpg

These look good

• Like 1

hmmmmmm   might have 2 1 inch spacers 

yes I do 2 spacers 1 1/4 inch thick 

how are the rears 

my car 2 years ago with those wheels   I think they look better on your car with the primer 

photobucket-50703-1349239186039.jpg

wheels when I bought it hated these 

photobucket-50763-1349239946545.jpg

Ya Ranman......I've never been a fan of those 5 spokes.......I think everyone had a set of those at some point in the 90's....

The 16s with a spacer that big might cause some problems for me......more mods than I'm willing to do right now.....but definitely in the near future!!

I just wanna get this car to CanBy!!!

My girl doesn't like the grey primer.......I told her if she wants to, SHE can paint it.....

......ain't nobody got time for that!!!!

Organs donated from the Zed to help revive 5Teezy.....

-Carbs

-Fuel pump

-Brake Master

-Radiator fan

-K&N breather filter

-Engine compartment light

-....and I'll check with the DMV about using the Z plates (don't have a matching set for the dime and I'd like to keep them blue)

More fitment.......

Dropped the block in so I can bolt the tranny up to see how I'm gonna modify the mount........and to make sure all the parts fit well.

Taking the old auto out........skyblue helpin out cause of my fractured foot......thx dude!! :thumbup:

IMG_3624_zpsa2710c60.jpg

IMG_3627_zps8aea571a.jpg

Oh yea I didnt realize you had the auto tranny ,  the stock hole in the floor is farther back as you discovered so you just make it a little bigger 

you might be able to reverse that tranny mount and add a 1 inch spacer to drop the tranny to the proper location 

I did that to one in the past but didnt seem to work out on the 68 so I bought the Experimental Engineering one for about 90 dollars shipped 

No way Auto drive shaft fit right in ???? 

Be careful what you say Kendall might be rattle canning that Primer before you know it  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Ya....having the hole there couldn't have been better.....

I did flip the bracket around and it's pretty damn close........I have to figure out what to use as a mount....

Does dropping the bracket 1" put the tranny at the right spot??......I was gonna try to mount it where it sits in the pic......is that too high??

....and No, the driveshaft from the auto did not fit......this one came with the tranny.

Be careful what you say Kendall might be rattle canning that Primer before you know it  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

That's the idea!! ;)    She's got the color scheme picked out already.......We'll see how good her rattle can skills are.... 

I think without the spacer the tranny is to high but I dont remember the reasons why except drive shaft angle 

just use the factory mount and a 1 inch by 2 inch square tube to space the tranny crossmember off the floor and longer bolts 

should put the drive shaft angle at a good position 

About every recommendation I've seen says drop the rear mount 1". I built spacers from 1" rectangular tubing, following the plan in an issue of Dime Quarterly. It works okay, but it took me (and I'm super slow I'll admit) a lot of time and messing around to get the right length studs and get it installed. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Experimental Engineering X-member ( and I'm super cheap, too, but I'd still spent the money for the EE). If you don't have time to order the EE member and want to try the DQ spacers, I can find the issue number. It should be online.

I think some guys cut the center section out of the original X-member and weld it back in with a 1" drop. I'm a bad welder, so I knew not to try that. One problem with using spacers to lower the whole member is you lose exhaust clearance which becomes more of a problem as you lower the car.

The sleeve the TO bearing mount on must be matched to the clutch you use. You mentioned you are using a "Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch kit". Possibly the kit includes the correct sleeve. Dunno. If not, you should ask them which Nissan part number sleeve or what year/model you need to use. If you install the wrong length TO sleeve, the clutch won't work right. You won't be happy I suspect.

Len

• Like 1

The DQ article is in Volume 9, Issue 2. Get to it from this link: http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/p/back-issues-ordering.html

However, I think the plan works with a manual trans 510  X-member, not an auto. When I did this, I tried to use an auto X-member and it didn't quite fit. Luckily I also had a manual member from another car, so I used it. You may be able to figure different hole spacing for an auto member.

A page on 200mm clutch sleeves:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13332&title=throw-out-bearing-sleeve-dimensions-&cat=3479

There is another page on 225mm/240mm sleeves, which may be what you need, but I don't have it handy. Maybe it is in this same album somewhere.

A page on pressure plates you probably don't need, but since I found it, I'll post:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13336&title=pressure-plate-dimensions-&cat=3479

Len

• Like 1

Great input Len.....much appreciated!!

I will  have to do some investigating about the sleeve.

Ordered the crossmember by EE. Great deal....hopefully it get here in time.

Do you use the stock mount from the tranny??

One thing I'm not too satisfied with is the ride height. Needs to go mo lo!!............ I'm having a clearance issue.

I have 1/4" spacers up front and can't go all the way down. I haven't shortened the strut yet.....that'll have to wait till after Canby.

I'm gonna try a 5/16" spacers I bought for the rear up front......I'm worried about hitting the fender though......we'll see.

I don't recall Skyblue having to use any spacers on his first dime he rolled with these style wheels.....maybe they made them with different offsets??

I'll have to see if it settles more with the engine bay complete....I don't have high hopes though.

IMG_3629_zps5abcdbf2.jpg

IMG_3667_zps7abedf5f.jpg

IMG_3668_zpsb21c74e5.jpg

with stock struts and cut springs you wont need spacers  with stock struts and coil overs you need spacers 

with zx struts you need 10mm spacer 

with zx struts and coil overs you need 15mm or more spacers 

or try a 7 inch spring you probably have 8 inch springs or even a 6 inch spring 

Ordered the crossmember by EE. Great deal....hopefully it get here in time.

Do you use the stock mount from the tranny??

I'm remembering reading the EE cross member is designed to use a 240Z mount. I may be mistaken, so check the EE website, or call them. They may sell the correct mount and can add one to your order if they haven't shipped your x-member yet. Maybe a 510 mount will work, but maybe not.

Len

• Like 1