How to caliberate speedo

mr928

Does anyone know how to caliberate the speedo? Dat521gatherer was nice enough to send me a working speedo/ odometer but it's off by about 15%. I'm sure I can take it to a speedo shop to adjust but i thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has tried this on their own.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My experience in calibrating speedometers are with zx speedometers. They all work the same way. The cable turns the numbers and a magnet drags the needle around. What the speedo shops do it change the strength of the magnet so it matches whatever is stamped on the face plate. I brought in the speedo head to the local shop here with the 130 mph face on my '82 turbo. This way I still had the 6 place odometer using the '79 spdo face. The '79 spdo head has only a 5 place mile reading. The numbers on the '79 odo are larger than the '82 head.

The spring tension he adjusted was for the stop at zero. Some use a peg, but mine was a spring.

The best thing about getting it recalibrated was that he did it for free.