L20bet Turbo Project

slodat

the turbo auto matics are pretty hard to find now a days but i was lucky enough about 5 years ago to score one in a j-yard. My new favorite oil cooler i score from j yards is the BMW 325e or i cars and also the big 80's jaguar XJ's had a sweet little unit thats very easy to remove. peace.

BTW a high flow oil pump to use besides the turbo l28 one is one from a stock ka24e, theyre the exact same but I am not positive about the same psi.

I recently removed a KA24E oil pump and measured the rotors and found they are 14% longer. As for the pressure the rule of thumb is 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPMs you expect to run at. So test fit some shims.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who said anything about draw through? :) I have fully programmable engine management (as mentioned in first post on this thread). I am not sure of the compression ratio of my engine. I have asked the PO and am hoping for a response. I have a turbo oil pump with adjuster from Wolf Creek Racing on the way and I am figuring out the oil cooler.

This is good as you can now use an intercooler. This will drop the temperatureof the air entering the motor and lower the chance of pre-ignition. A cooler, denser air charge also means more air in a smaller space so more power. Every effort should be made to keep the air as cool as you can including moving the air intake to in front of the rad. You don't want warm rad air. More power means your motor is going to make more heat, a lot more and you need to get rid of it.

I calculated the CR last night, L20B w/ stock dished pistons, P-nut head...8.87 to 1

t My new favorite oil cooler i score from j yards is the BMW 325e or i cars and also the big 80's jaguar XJ's had a sweet little unit thats very easy to remove. peace.

I think I had a xj oil cooler, are the like 4 inches tall and like 2 feet long?

The fenderwell will easily accept a 5" x 8" oil cooler core. Building a shroud/box the enclose it will be pretty straight forward. Then, cut a hole in the front valence and it is a forced air type thing. I'm thinking of doing this on the passenger side for the oil cooler and on the driver side for the turbo air intake.

I have a StarQuest (Starion/Conquest) intercooler on its way. From what I have been told they are a very good fit.

The turbo project is a ton of pricey things to take care of to do it right. The oil cooler being the most recent realization. The cool thing is, I can do a lot of these things before as small projects and still keep the car on the road.

Tomorrow, I am picking up the hose to supply the oil spray bar. I installed the adjustable turbo oil pump today.

Note to L motor guys - if you are swapping out an oil pump, order the gasket from Nissan ahead of time. Felpro doesn't sell one individually so Napa, Schucks, etc do not carry it.

if you need any help with the turbo setup, you should bring it up on a tuesday night. One of our buddies works for Extreme Turbo Systems, and once you get him going on something he just wont stop. Gotta get some rod for the tig welder though!

I can't wait to see it

The blue rotary had a oil cool setup similar to what you are explaining. I was in the wheel well area. I want to add an oil cooler to my sr someday, I was thinking about going the same route.

The AMI boys had a little garage sale this morning. I picked up a couple of goodies - one of which was a Ford Probe intercooler. I think it is going to work out well. The inlet and outlet are on the same side, which is perfect for my setup. Minor cuts to the core support on the drivers side and I should still be able to run my Fiero radiator.

I ordered a downpipe flange so I can get started on that sometime soon. The guy I got it from makes the stuff himself. So, he can do alternate materials, thicknesses, etc. I got the 3/8" mild steel flange to start with. The stock turbo uses a 7 bolt flange. Nismopu thinks the turbo is from an RB.

I also ordered the 38mm wastegate flanges. Just need to buy a wastegate. I'm thinking I'll get a 38mm Tial wastegate with a .4 spring to start with. If I decide to up the boost, I can either get a spring or a boost controller. I doubt I'll go the boost controller route though.

The probe intercooler looks like it will work well, fit behind the grill and not interfere with my Fiero Radiator. The intercooler piping is going to be very minimal. It also looks like I will be able to mount an oil cooler next to the intercooler, so it will be front mounted and pretty good size.

I got a screaming deal on an ac/dc TIG welder last week. I ordered the current control today. I'll be able to weld aluminum, stainless, etc! I also found a guy to make intake and exhaust flanges for L motors. I plan to take a shot at making a turbo manifold and a plenum style intake to replace my L18e intake.

04-28-07_0916.jpg

Headed down to put the engine in the car!

63-t3-flange_thumb.jpg

I think it might be turbo'd by Canby. The parts pile is growing. Hopefully picking up the wastegate this morning..

Don't worry, you will get a ride in the turbo l motor 510!!

Have fun with the TIG welding, in my opnion, its the only way to go. Just be careful with those aircooled machines, cause the tourch can get HOT! MIG welders are for trailers!

The welder has built in provisions for water cooling. It didn't come with a cooler, so I bought an air cooled torch to get started. I doubt I'll be doing enough continuous stuff to need one. If I do, it's not a big deal to switch to a water cooled setup.

I picked up a Tial 38mm wastegate today with a .5bar spring. So, 7# boost it is!!