xzile609

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to pull the pan today, and mounts were pretty tired so I attempted a pair of DIY poly mounts with stock 510 mounts and 3M Windo-Weld.

Stock mount.

20130914_112016_zpse9327cb9.jpg

Removed rubber isolator.

20130914_113157_zps1a9e8375.jpg

Cleaned remaining rubber and added some heads of decking screws staggered.

IMG_5419_zps23fe79d3.jpg

Top and bottom plates together with a bolt tack welded and scrap rubber strip to get the proper spacing--bolt and rubber strip will be removed after poly cures.

IMG_5421_zps558bc6af.jpg

Filled and packed all at once, not layered.

IMG_5436_zpsccc03537.jpg

State of the art curing room.

IMG_5439_zpsa342ec3a.jpg

IMG_5440_zpse60de058.jpg

Curing chart taken from 3M Windo-Weld Product Data Sheet. Moisture and Heat!!!

Windo-WeldCuring_zpsdd4ee104.jpg

"Schweddy" hot incubator

20130915_130607_zps386f355b.jpg

Not sure how long it will take to cure. At about 24hrs (today) I removed the foil tape and they were still wet some under the tape. I'll be letting them hang out another 5 days at least.

Also not sure if they will even work, but I just wanted to try what I thought would be a similar design/operation to stock motor mounts with added stiffness. I'm not keen on the thru-bolt design. However, if this don't work, then I'll probably do the McKinney mounts.

Upon checking today I was looking to remove the strip of rubber I was using as spacer/shim, the top and bottom metal potions were easily ciming away from the poly. It really wasnt cured in the middle, but dont think curing all the way through would have done it either.

And thanks for sharing about them not being a thru-bolt design.

I hadnt seen that website until now. What did the mounts run? And they came with a base? They slotted like McKinneys?

That ain't bad either.

Mounts came in. Haven't had a chance to see or touch them yet, but looks to be a versatile design on the bottom bracket. Slotted to maintain motor tilt and offset slot to either accommodate motor further back or forward (although not too sure how good a design that is for my build)

I couldn't build those brackets for $50 even if I paid myself minimum wage. :hmm:   So as long as they fit, work and last, I think its a worth while buy.

photo_zps0c1e3182.jpg

The ones they show on their website are yellow. Not sure if that's older version or what.

• 10 years later...

Reawakening this thread... 

It seems the Mckinney mounts don't exist anymore, but I have read that you can actually just use OEM 510 mounts.

So it goes:

- KA24de Engine
- Upper Bracket from KA mount
- 510 motor mount (dropped to the lower holes)
- Crossmember tower mount (on a stock flipped crossmember)

Is that right?!

1 hour ago, mhinkens said:

Reawakening this thread... 

It seems the Mckinney mounts don't exist anymore, but I have read that you can actually just use OEM 510 mounts.

So it goes:

- KA24de Engine
- Upper Bracket from KA mount
- 510 motor mount (dropped to the lower holes)
- Crossmember tower mount (on a stock flipped crossmember)

Is that right?!

Yes- but didn’t work for me… for some reason the engine just wouldn’t line up for me when using the upper/lower holes.

I have Mckinneys from back in the day, but quality was poor.

another option is to use a 1/2” spacer between the upper mount and the engine block. Supposed to allow you to run stock 510 isolators in the stock location (not dropped down). I have the spacers but haven’t made the swap yet- here’s a link. 

https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=29668&start=45

Edited by demo243