I like camping, skiing and good clearance!

ZackeryNM

I want to lift my 2wd 86 720 so it can be more versatile in off road conditions. I guess kinda like a prerunner just not the super extreme long travel stuff (maybe this would be the only way? Idk this is why I'm asking) I know everybody says buy a 4x4 or why lift a 2by when you should lower it, blah blah blah but in my mind its like a 2wd four wheeler with a cab. I'm not a guy who likes to go slowwink.gif

I would like to know where anybody is/has doing/done this!? The search button has absolutely pissed me off, maybe I'm doing it wrong(giggity) ; Google has also failed to yield any results. I've seen a few 720 lift kits but they are for 4bys and have bad reviews. I'm afraid to do a body lift because of component positioning. So any help/advise/talking me out of it (I'll still want to do it anyways) would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh and how the feuck do I change my username!? I've been on here long enough to know that my user name is kinda um generic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to lift my 2wd 86 720 so it can be more versatile in off road conditions. I guess kinda like a prerunner just not the super extreme long travel stuff (maybe this would be the only way? Idk this is why I'm asking) I know everybody says buy a 4x4 or why lift a 2by when you should lower it, blah blah blah but in my mind its like a 2wd four wheeler with a cab. I'm not a guy who likes to go slowwink.gif

I would like to know where anybody is/has doing/done this!? The search button has absolutely pissed me off, maybe I'm doing it wrong(giggity) ; Google has also failed to yield any results. I've seen a few 720 lift kits but they are for 4bys and have bad reviews. I'm afraid to do a body lift because of component positioning. So any help/advise/talking me out of it (I'll still want to do it anyways) would be greatly appreciated.

Ohh and how the feuck do I change my username!? I've been on here long enough to know that my user name is kinda um generic.

I believe the leafs on 2x4 is below the rear end. you could put them on top like the 4x4 and just lift the front

I put a 3 inch body lift on my old 1980 720 and ran 7.50x15 bias ply traction tires ( tall skinny snow ) all the way around and i think i only took a few hours to install , and it didn`t affect handling or drive line angle..You will have to move steering wheel lower and cut the bottom of fan shroud off and lengthen gas filler hose ( i didn`t ) thats about it.

reading it over makes me feel old...do they even make bias ply tires anymore ?..biggrin.gif

Front, you turn up the torsion bars. That'll pick it up maybe 2", but that's as far as it'll go, though I suppose you could reclock the torsion bars to get a little more. Issue is the camber will get screwed up and that can't be adjusted except with shims.

Rear, the EASIEST way is to get longer spring shackles, but since the front of the leaves are anchored directly to the frame it'll screw up the geometry. So the 2nd easiest way is to simply get a 4WD rear axle assembly (and mounting hardware) and bolt that on, since the spring perches are on top rather than on the bottom like your 2WD one. Of course, that'll give you the diameter of the axle tube plus the perch (x2) in lift, which is around 4-5" total. Kind of a lot, and might require a new rear driveshaft.

Lower the rad rather than cutting the shroud. Lowering will keep the fan centered behind the rad and prevent stretching top and bottom rad hoses too.

Body lifts are easy with just spacers added but only look good if not overdone. The 720 has a fairly straight shifter and may fit the floor hole better than my 620. I had to take the shifter off and straighten in a vice so the bend didn't hit the sheet metal. I had a flat bed so the tank hose wasn't a problem. A body lift won't give you any more ground clearance but will allow taller tires though.

If the front is cranked 2-3" then re-arching the rear springs is probably enough. This WILL give more ground clearance.

Every inch of tire height gives you 1/2" of extra clearance.... but it does affect the overall gear ratio and some performance will be lost. You could slip a 4.11 from an '81-'82 2wd automatic in to get some of that loss back.