mrbigtankers 521

mrbigtanker

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die.

No reason can justify any money put into an old car or truck. Why do people spend $10K on a couch? A friend of mine is building a Jeep Scrambler for a client and he's got over $200K into it. Think of all the money you guys would spend if you couldn't turn a wrench. At least by doing it yourself, you can save some cash to buy a $7K bicycle.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

How much do you have in yours now? Buying it wheels,, paint ,,all the small shit, new engine build, carbs, plus restoring the carbs ???? why do people shovel money in German cars American cars, 2 reasons because they want to and the other reason is because they cannnnnnnnnnn..................

I really have no idea but if I had to guess maybe $10-12K including what I paid for it?  Either way I agree with you and stoffregen about what we choose to spend money on.   Obviously some wise investments and some not lol.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die.

No reason can justify any money put into an old car or truck. Why do people spend $10K on a couch? A friend of mine is building a Jeep Scrambler for a client and he's got over $200K into it. Think of all the money you guys would spend if you couldn't turn a wrench. At least by doing it yourself, you can save some cash to buy a $7K bicycle.

Better to spend it on a hobby than on drugs or booze where you don't actually benefit from it though. 

• Like 3

Actually people put money into older vehicles because 1. They can repair them and not pay shop charges, 2. Many older vehicle parts are cheaper than the newer vehicle parts, and 3. If something goes wrong they can usually diagnose the problem and fix it quickly. I bought my 86 720 for $900 and have spent about $1,000 fixing it for use as a pickup and delivery vehicle. Any other options were far more expensive and didn't give me a short wheel base and long bed.  My fuel expenses have been reduced by half in the 3 weeks I have been using it.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, jagman said:

Actually people put money into older vehicles because 1. They can repair them and not pay shop charges, 2. Many older vehicle parts are cheaper than the newer vehicle parts, and 3. If something goes wrong they can usually diagnose the problem and fix it quickly. I bought my 86 720 for $900 and have spent about $1,000 fixing it for use as a pickup and delivery vehicle. Any other options were far more expensive and didn't give me a short wheel base and long bed.  My fuel expenses have been reduced by half in the 3 weeks I have been using it.

My 86 King Cab 2wd I paid $900, my 84 King Cab ST 2wd $200,  my 1980 Regular Cab 2wd $75,  my 66 520 $300.  I do not buy expensive trucks.  It is more fun to me to by cheap trucks and do the repairs and customization myself.  This way I have what I want.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

My 86 King Cab 2wd I paid $900, my 84 King Cab ST 2wd $200,  my 1980 Regular Cab 2wd $75,  my 66 520 $300.  I do not buy expensive trucks.  It is more fun to me to by cheap trucks and do the repairs and customization myself.  This way I have what I want.

same here, i bought my 1st datsun back in 1988 for $500 and it was my daily driver

• Like 2
On 8/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, jagman said:

That was why I had my 1980 John Deere 302A tractor. I got it for free and had only $2500 into it. It served me well for almost 15 years. I just replaced it with a more modern tractor, but the old JD did a ton of work around here for pennies on the dollar. It was dangerous as hell to operate, but whatever. I'm still here!

I sold it for $4000.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That was why I had my 1980 John Deere 302A tractor. I got it for free and had only $2500 into it. It served me well for almost 15 years. I just replaced it with a more modern tractor, but the old JD did a ton of work around here for pennies on the dollar. It was dangerous as hell to operate, but whatever. I'm still here!

I sold it for $4000.

My dad restored a 1944 John Deer Model D and sold it for $10,000.

• Like 2