• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

46399302105_b1ca78f5b8_k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

46399302135_0ea8321a3f_k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

This new FJ is going to one a beast. Did someone say narrowed rear end or something to hook up. These just came in today to complete my fully built beast.It will eat Sr/KA's for breakfast.

To be able to eat SR/KA's for breakfast, it would require you to actually drive it further than the from the driveway to the trailer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am kinda curious about something, I have only seen race cars with hood pins that held the hoods on/down, if the hood rattled it made no difference because it's a race car and all one can hear is their engine and the other cars engines around them except for what I have heard being called rubbing(race cars hitting each other), I have never heard of a street legal vehicle removing the stock hood latch in favor of hood pins, what I see is the hood rattling a lot with hood pins, the stock hood latch has a very stiff spring holding the hood firmly in one position with rubber bumpers on the sides, this stops the rattling as that spring is stiff, you are going to have metal to metal contact to hold the hood down, now you might say I will push the hood down against the rubber bumpers to insert the pins, but the pin is still metal to metal and I believe it is going to rattle/vibrate/make noise that you will be able to hear in the cab.

The hood is like a drum, anything touching it on the underside(my situation) is amplified, I should know as I have turbo piping and it was a bitch to get everything in that engine compartment and not have anything touching the hood, I have had the turbo, turbo oil line, turbo piping, turbo piping clamps touching at one point or another, it was terrible.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

This new FJ is going to one a beast. Did someone say narrowed rear end or something to hook up. These just came in today to complete my fully built beast.It will eat Sr/KA's for breakfast.

Is it just me or is Tanker starting to sound more and more like a Toyota Fanboy... Intervention?

• Like 2

Image result for sassy grass green '70 Dodge Dart 340 swinger

My new '70 Dodge Dart (identical to the one above but with the A-833 four speed... so no bucket seats either) had a hood package that included dull non reflecting black paint and factory equipped hood pins with clips and lanyards. Yes there were regulation hoof latch and catch mechanisms in place. The hood pins were a 'dress up' item but very high quality. The clips wore away on the chrome bases, but from constant removal and insertion not shaking. I adjusted mine more snugly. The base plate was thick and heavily chrome plated with chrome plated screws.  The blacked out hood was a god send when driving early or late in the day with the sun low on the horizon. The hood pins were a pain in the ass to remove and replace every time you raised your hood. The car was capable of a buck fifty and at that speed and air pressure were useful. I think I was there only a half dozen times. Speeds of 120-130 were countless. 

I guess under real racing conditions pins would be a very good idea and far better than the latch/lock that it comes with. Without the stock latch it would be very fast to remove but a little slow to latch. Street car??? no, not needed at all except for looks and I would keep the pull cable hood latch for security reasons.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wayno said:

I am kinda curious about something, I have only seen race cars with hood pins that held the hoods on/down, if the hood rattled it made no difference because it's a race car and all one can hear is their engine and the other cars engines around them except for what I have heard being called rubbing(race cars hitting each other), I have never heard of a street legal vehicle removing the stock hood latch in favor of hood pins, what I see is the hood rattling a lot with hood pins, the stock hood latch has a very stiff spring holding the hood firmly in one position with rubber bumpers on the sides, this stops the rattling as that spring is stiff, you are going to have metal to metal contact to hold the hood down, now you might say I will push the hood down against the rubber bumpers to insert the pins, but the pin is still metal to metal and I believe it is going to rattle/vibrate/make noise that you will be able to hear in the cab.

The hood is like a drum, anything touching it on the underside(my situation) is amplified, I should know as I have turbo piping and it was a bitch to get everything in that engine compartment and not have anything touching the hood, I have had the turbo, turbo oil line, turbo piping, turbo piping clamps touching at one point or another, it was terrible.

1 hour ago, paradime said:

Is it just me or is Tanker starting to sound more and more like a Toyota Fanboy... Intervention?

I’m buying a Tacoma and the pins are of high quality and will work fine. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Image result for sassy grass green '70 Dodge Dart 340 swinger

My new '70 Dodge Dart (identical to the one above but with the A-833 four speed... so no bucket seats either) had a hood package that included dull non reflecting black paint and factory equipped hood pins with clips and lanyards. Yes there were regulation hoof latch and catch mechanisms in place. The hood pins were a 'dress up' item but very high quality. The clips wore away on the chrome bases, but from constant removal and insertion not shaking. I adjusted mine more snugly. The base plate was thick and heavily chrome plated with chrome plated screws.  The blacked out hood was a god send when driving early or late in the day with the sun low on the horizon. The hood pins were a pain in the ass to remove and replace every time you raised your hood. The car was capable of a buck fifty and at that speed and air pressure were useful. I think I was there only a half dozen times. Speeds of 120-130 were countless. 

I guess under real racing conditions pins would be a very good idea and far better than the latch/lock that it comes with. Without the stock latch it would be very fast to remove but a little slow to latch. Street car??? no, not needed at all except for looks and I would keep the pull cable hood latch for security reasons.  

Looks good. No cables just spring loaded. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I’m going to beat them in my driveway. How’s your truck doing. 

Mine is doing fine, still looks like shit but I can drive it in any weather and anywhere I want to go

Hood pins  look great

Edited by Rick-rat
  • Like 2