• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32566041648_1076762e80_k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

44621666670_bf8b4d81db_k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

44621666690_38e09a9212_k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

In case any one was wondering, I bought the bell tech drop leaf springs for Nissan 720. They fit perfect from end to end. Only modification needed it you will have to redial the center pin. It's 2.25" off of the factory one. Other then that your good to go. Summit has them for like 236.00 shipped that real is cheap. 

• Like 3

On my springs I marked where I wanted the 2 leaves drilled and my brother used a Bridgeport mill and carbide masonry bits.  Had to drill main and 2nd leaves. Garret used 4 carbide masonry bits drilling 4 holes in the 4 leaves.  There is controversy over whether re-drilling centering holes weekend the springs to the point that the springs will break at the old hole.

My springs have not broke yet as the truck is much like Mr Tanker's and just sits in the garage. 

When I get the 520 drivable it will go to a local spring place and have a set of custom leave springs made for it that will set the rear height where I want it.

• Like 1

That was my concern.  I kinda think that the two short plates on top could be redrilled.  The original hole could be left in the springs to hold those two plates with the new offset hole in them.  Then a new pin/bolt in the two short plate's original hole could be used to align the rear end.  Once the U bolts are tightened down, the pins don't really do anything.

• Like 1

They don’t do much, but they do help keep the axle in place in the shear direction during impacts and whatnot. Probably not the biggest thing to be concerned about if you ever slam into something with a 521, but definitely useful for off-road trucks and stuff. 

• Like 1

I would just buy Datsun/Nissan 4wd leafs and install them, if they do not fit why are they selling them like they do fit, unless you are installing them backwards, you know the hole in the leaf is not centered, it's a few inches towards the front side.

Basically what I am saying is if you have them on wrong/backwards, they will be around 2 1/2 inches too far back, but I am talking about Datsun/Nissan 4wd leafs, if the Belltech leafs are supposed to be for a 720 it should be the same.

The way it measures out is around 22 inches from the pin/hole in the leaf to the front mount bolt center, it's around 24 1/2 inches from the pin/hole to the rear leaf bolt center, 2 1/2 inches off sounds like backwards to me.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, wayno said:

I would just buy Datsun/Nissan 4wd leafs and install them, if they do not fit why are they selling them like they do fit, unless you are installing them backwards, you know the hole in the leaf is not centered, it's a few inches towards the front side.

Basically what I am saying is if you have them on wrong/backwards, they will be around 2 1/2 inches too far back, but I am talking about Datsun/Nissan 4wd leafs, if the Belltech leafs are supposed to be for a 720 it should be the same.

The way it measures out is around 22 inches from the pin/hole in the leaf to the front mount bolt center, it's around 24 1/2 inches from the pin/hole to the rear leaf bolt center, 2 1/2 inches off sounds like backwards to me.

Thank you I know this, i swapped them around and they dont line up. I believe because of the year possibly, i will look further into this before I put holes in it.

• Like 1

Leaf springs usually have a different wrap on either end. The end without the shackle almost always has some form of double wrap on the second and sometimes third leaf. The shackle end can have only one leaf at the very end.

Did I make any sense with this?

• Like 2

So I contacted bell tech again today and they gave me some pretty good news.

So the part # 5974 for Nissan specs are :

Free arch = 5.75"  with a load rate of 130 LB's per inch

Total length = 47"

Front eyelet to center pin is = 23.5"

center pin to rear eyelet is = 23.5 "

Part # 5976 for Toyota believe it or not are;

Free arch = 6.875"  with a load rate of 89 LB's 

Total length = 47"

Front eyelet to center pin = 20.75"

rear eyelet to center pin =26.25"

So the difference would shift the center pin on the Toy leaf springs forward by 2.75"

Right now I need to go what i roughly measured 2.25" forward.   So the question is will .5" break me, I want to say no. If I Have the space on the drive shaft for it I believe it will be fine.

I measured Nissan 720 leafs in my back yard, ask anyone on here with rear 720 leafs if the holes in the leafs are centered, they are not, now they may be centered on the D21 leafs, that I do not know, but they are not centered on the 720 leafs 2wd or 4wd, nor on the 620, 521, or the 520 leafs, measure your 521 leaf.

I just went out and measured 5 different leafs, the 521, the 620 mobile home, the 720 4wd, 720 2wd, and 720 cab/chassis leafs, they were all 22 inches from the center of the front eye to the center of the pin, 23.5 is not right for the 520/521/620/720, it may be correct for the D21(hardbody), I do not know what they use, although I have never heard of anyone using D21 leafs on their Datsuns except the guy that put his 521 cab on a D21 chassis.

It now sounds like they are trying to find something that will fit your truck, personally I want my rear wheels centered in my front and rear fender wells in my 720 chassis conversions, it looks goofy when they are not centered, and you do not want your nice truck looking goofy.

• Like 1