210 5speed shifter - what else works?

rbastedo

Over in the Wanted/For Sale area I found a thread that confused me a bit about this subject.

Here is what I read:

The shifter doesn't have to be from a 210, any shifter from a "B" type transmission will fit the 210 transmission, it is just the bends in the lever may put the knob in a strange position especially if you put a P/U lever in a Z car.

I am not clear on which shifters fit what.

It seems he is saying a B210 shifter will also work in a 210?

I know a 4 speed trans shifter from a 210 will fit and work in the 5 speed since I have done that.

So - what works where?

Does a 63 series shifter work in a 210 60 series trans?

Does a 56 series shifter work in a 60 series transmission?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These all interchange. Bends/length differ.

* 63-series 5-speed shifter

* 56-series shifter

* 60-series shifter

The 60-series shifter does not work well with the 63-series 5 speed, the length of the shifter from the crossbolt to the plastic pivot point at the end of the shifter is about 10mm shorter on the 60 series shifter. B210 60 series shifter left, 620 shifter right.

d36486b4.jpg

The 620 shifter shifts nicely on a 63 series, but the bend in the lever hits the dash.

I ended up using a shifter from a late model Z and flipping the plastic spring loaded piece the crossbolt goes through to get it the right length.

The 60-series shifter does not work well with the 63-series 5 speed, the length of the shifter from the crossbolt to the plastic pivot point at the end of the shifter is about 10mm shorter on the 60 series shifter. B210 60 series shifter left, 620 shifter right.

d36486b4.jpg

The 620 shifter shifts nicely on a 63 series, but the bend in the lever hits the dash.

I ended up using a shifter from a late model Z and flipping the plastic spring loaded piece the crossbolt goes through to get it the right length.

620/280z/zx shifter in 63A

doglegshiftoptions004Large.jpg

720 short throw.

doglegshiftoptions002Large.jpg

doglegshiftoptions003Large.jpg

No. A true short throw needs the two 'ears' that the cross pin goes through, higher, to move the fulcrum point higher, and the distance on the bottom of the shifter lengthened between the pin and the plastic cup on the bottom. This will give a shorter throw without shortening the shifter itself.

I don't know if the 63A shifter will fit the 210 transmissions. It might but I doubt it will be a shorter throw.

There is a difference in pin heights on the FS5W71B transmissions.

4 & 5 speeds up to '80

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

4 & 5 speeds after '80

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

Some 720/S110 FS5W71B shifters. Come in multiple lengths.

shifters003Large.jpg

720shifter004Large.jpg

The two plastic bushings and the spring inside can be swapped upside down to move the pin hole higher up to move the fulcrum point up. I haven't figured everything out yet

If you could swap this part...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

...onto a dogleg you could probably change the shifter and set up a shorter throw. Have no idea if it will fit. I have a spare tail with the taller pin holes. Maybe this summer I will swap a dogleg into my wife's 710 sedan. I will look at this.